Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smonk_gw

Help! Need ID on Narcissus

smonk
19 years ago

I recently recovered some Narcissus from my mother's garden. She recently died at 96 and she had these bulbs for many years as did my grandmother. The bulbs are small, propogare very slowly and do not spread without being divided. The foliage is rounded (a little flat) and grows to about 6". The flowers bloom early and a small and medium yellow throughout. Usually a stalk bears 3 flowers that open vertically - three up. The fragrance is FANTASTIC. Very sweet and not pungent like most Narcissus. Any thoughts?

Comments (2)

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

The foliage is rounded (a little flat) and grows to about 6". The flowers bloom early and a small and medium yellow throughout. Usually a stalk bears 3 flowers that open vertically -

smonk,

I've found that it's pretty near impossible to ID historic varieties without at least pictures, and better still being able to actually see the flower in question up close and personal. ( smile)

For that reason I'm giving you links to two well known places that deal with heirloom spring bulbs.

The distinction between narcissus and daffodils often gets blurred.

The first link is:

http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/

and the second link is below.

Hope that helps.

And perhaps someone reeading here will immediately ID what you have, but I'm doubtful about that since there are many that resemble each other. And you can always take a p icture and send it to one of the links I've given you after e-mailing with them, I would assume.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Heiroom spring bulbs

• cecilia_md7a
    19 years ago

I remember reading somewhere that most narcissus varieties do poorly as garden plants in the Deep South. If there are only a few species or varieties that naturalize easily in Alabama, maybe it will be easier to identify smonk's plants. I think the tazetta group are supposed to do well there - and they tend to be smaller ones with several blooms per stalk.