Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kschaffer88

Beefsteak definition

Karen S
17 years ago

Is there a real definition for beefsteak tomatoes? Does it have to do with destribution of the gel cavities? I've heard that asserted. Or are they just really big tomatoes?

Comment (1)

• Macmex
    16 years ago

Karen,

Last summer I asked a similar question of Keith in the tomato growing forum. Here's a bit of what he sent me plus a diagram he sent. I e-mailed you the whole thing. I thought he did a great job of explaining!

George
    Tahlequah, OK

My understanding of it is that it tends to be a combination of shape and locule arrangement.

Locules are the areas that hold the seeds and gell. There are 5 in this example arranged in a wheel like manner around a center.

There are bilocular fruits such as on cherry types:

And their multilocular types were there are 3 or more locular cavities usually arranged around a center point like spokes on a wheel.

Beefstakes tend to have their multiple locular (multilocular) cavities in irregular patterns sometimes with no definable center as the pictures above. The "meat" or flesh area, called "pericarp: and "septa" in the line drawing above, tends to be thicker and generally occupies more space than the locules with beefstake types.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting