Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

100 year old lilacs

igloochic
14 years ago

I have three lovely lilac trees....ok they were lovely. The newer one (probably around 80 or 90 years from pics of the house) is in good shape. the other two are not. their leaves are curly and they aren't flowering much. I mean they have lots of flowers on top, but they look a bit spindly and they seem to be behind the neighbor's lilacs by quite a bit.

My lawn mowing guy suggests just taking them out. I have trouble with this...They've made it 100 years or so, and I feel it a crime to remove them. Is there anything I can do to help them thrive again? Or is there no lilac fountain of youth?????

Comments (6)

• ken_mce
    14 years ago

You may be able to rejuvenate them by pruning out some of the old thick branches and letting them send up new growth. Reference:

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/articles/pruning-lilacs.aspx

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much!!! I shall study the article and take it to heart. I really want to try to save them if I can. Lilacs are special :) (roses are too but the deer eat all of them so I have to hang on to the lilacs LOL)

• sergeantcuff
    14 years ago

I also have some old lilacs that do not bloom well. I have pruned them down as the article Ken linked instructs, but the pruned branches do not bloom until they've grown quite tall again.

I understand that lilacs need LOTS of sun to bloom well, and mine are on the north side of the house. I wonder if mine ever looked that great. Perhaps an 80-year-old planting mistake?

• denninmi
    14 years ago

Actually, lilac rejuvenation is a no-brainer.

Cut EVERYTHING off, right to the ground level.

It will grow back vigorously from the roots, and will make a full sized shrub, full and beautiful, in 2 to 3 growing seasons.

I too had several geriatric lilacs, and did this to them about 15 years ago, made them good as new. A couple of them got ratty and I did them again last year, and, while only about 4 feet tall this year, are full of buds. By the end of this summer, they'll be 6 to 8 feet tall again.

No need to be delicate, I used a chain saw.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL I've never cut anything with a chain saw...we may have to film this heh heh

Thanks all for so much help!!! This garden is a huge challenge...too much sun LOL too much growth.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I had some lilacs growing behind my garage. They had flowers only on top-about 15 feet off the ground- and were looking spindly . I "rejuvenated" over three years by cutting out one-third of the trunks every spring for three years straight. , cutting right down to the ground. Done in late March just as soon as yhe last snows melted. This method really works. I now have plenty of blossoms for picking!