Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amelie_danjou

growing corn in my yard - spacing ?

amelie_danjou
16 years ago

I've never grown corn before, and I've read it pollinates better in a block than a row. I wanted to try planting in a 2'x8'bed -- will that work?

Also, I was seduced by a catalogue and got Bloody Butcher seeds, but just read that it can get 12' tall! Should I start with a sweet corn instead? (hubby would prefer that). Will that tall corn shade my tomatoes? And what would I do with a dent corn anyway? (I'd like to eat it, but not sure how.)

Help!

Thanks,

Amelie

Comments (3)

• Macmex
    16 years ago

Hi Amelie,

You should be able to grow some corn in a 2'X8' bed. If you really only want the corn for corn on the cob, then you should probably go with the sweet corn. I did read that Bloody Butcher can be used like a sweet corn when very young, and I'd probably do it and like it fine. But I doubt that it would be as sweet as what your hubby is accustomed to. This kind of corn would probably be best for corn meal or grits. I looked in my Seed Savers Exchange yearbook and did find two people who claim that it is usable for corn on the cob.

You could plant mainly sweet corn and just two "hills" of Bloody Butcher, if you want to try it. By "hill" I mean 3 to 4 seeds in a group and I'd recommend that you place the two hills about 24" apart. That should give you adequate pollination to see what this corn can do.

I read that Bloody Butcher matures dry seed in 110 to 120 days. If you plant it simultaneously with an early sweet corn they shouldn't cross pollinate. You can then enjoy your sweet corn and still get some Bloody Butcher to try. Plant the taller variety on the North side of the bed, if the bed mainly runs East & West. This will avoid shading the shorter variety. Once you've grown them once, you'll be able to see in your mind's eye, how they will grow in the future, and you'll be able to plan more easily. Remember to give enough room to the tomatoes so that they are not shaded and so you can get in there to pick them.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• josie23
    16 years ago

2 x 8 sounds awful small to me. You will want to hand pollinate the ears to get a decent crop.

• garyopa2010_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Can field corn & sweet corn be planted in the same area of a garden? I read above that carn can cross pollinate. An if it does could it reduce the flavor of the corn? Thank you, oma

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting