Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boopster_gw

My first Swiss Chard

boopster
18 years ago

Wow! finally had some swiss chard, cooked. I'd been using the smaller leaves in salad, but yesterday I cooked it up with some olive oil, onions, sprinkled a little feta cheese, a little bacon and a splash of vinegar...it was fantastic! Guess I'll have to throw some more seeds out. Will it really last all season in the hot Texas summer?

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

boopster, methinks you meant to post this in the veggie folder, not here. Right? ( smile)

Carolyn

• boopster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Uhhhmmmm, no I'm pretty sure it was Heirloom chard I was eating:)

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Boopster, there are some nice heirloom chards which do well up here on the "tundra". I've got Bright Lights which were obtained from Seed Savers Exchange and also Golden Sunrise which came from an SSE member. I know that Bright Lights will handle our summer heat quite well if it's harvest heavy early on. Eventually, it's always gotten away from me and became a bit tough. But then I just use the thick flesh stalk and leaf central rib. Use them in stir fry!

This will be my first year for growing Golden Sunrise so I'm not certain how that will hold out. Seed came from a Texas gardener who really had a lot of praise for it. As with any other chard, a little bit more water is better than not enough to keep them happy and tender!

Martin

• boopster
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Martin, I have the Bright lights as well, a cananry yellow, and I believe the Fordhook. They all seem to be doing well, but I am, like you said, giving them a little extra H2o, especially since I am in big time sand. Do you know of any lettice that can take the heat without getting that bitter taste? The other thing I've thought about growing is mustard, but don't really know too much about it or how it tastes.

• paquebot
    18 years ago

As a matter of fact, Yes, and, No! Again we get into a cross between our short hot summers and your long hot summers and the fact that anything that applies to Texas is contrary to the other 49 states! I haven't found many good leaf lettuce varieties which can even handle our early-summer temps without growing them in partial shade plus gallons of water. Cheaper to buy the stuff from a farmers market than pay for all the water! But I did find Key Lime lettuce which will make a neat little loose Bibb-type head despite heat and neglect. I've seen it available in a few obscure companies but I don't think any big company carries it. Another seems to be Little Gem Cos lettuce that did OK for me last year but then we didn't really have any real hot days. I liked that one enough that I'm growing it again this year.

Martin

• greenwitch
    18 years ago

I'm growing mustard greens, Southern Giant. It's very ornamental with corrugated texture and very frilly braided edges and it tastes like mustard, the Dijon kind with the kick. A little shredded in a salad or sandwich is very good.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional