Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richardprimbs

Heirloom sweet potatoes in California

RichardPrimbs
18 years ago

Hi,

Somebody posted earlier asking about buying heirloom sweet potatoes in California. And I recently bought some Japanese "Okinawa" sweet potato plants (An absolutely delicious purple sweet potato) from Steve Spangler at "Exotica rare fruit nursery" in Vista Calironia.

I think that sweet potatoes can get a leaf curf disease. And California creates such a hassle and charges so much for inspections that it's not worth it for the growers to ship into California...

People typically 'slip' their own sweet potatoes. I've had the directions e-mailed to me and I can forward them on if anybody is interested.

Richard Primbs

Encinitas (Leucadia) CA

Comments (9)

• goodlifegardener
    18 years ago

I'd love to get some directions on slipping sweet potatoes! I've been wanting to try growing sweet potatoes for ages. I can get some organic, possibly heirloom, sweet potatoes at our local natural foods store. If I could start my own slips I'd be thrilled!

Did the nursery you bought your slips from have other varieties? Do they ship within CA?

Thanks bunches!
    goodlifegardener (dragged out of lurking by the temptation of sweet potatoes...)

• RichardPrimbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,

I had directions for starting slips e-mailed to me by "Gwen in LA". Hopefully she won't mind if I post her directions here.

"I start the potatoes growing by laying them on damp perlite, and waiting for them to sprout. Laying them on their sides, about 1/3 of the way down in perlite (or clean sand).

When the sprouts are about 8" long, push them off the tuber with your thumb, and transplant in good friable soil, with about 3" of tip and several leaves showing. Water immediately, and keep damp. In a few weeks they will start to 'run', making long vines."

And I think that Steve does ship within California. He's located in Vista CA (2508-B East Vista Way) which is north of San Deigo and south of Los Angelos off of the I-5 freeway. Exotica's phone number is 760-724-9093.

And amazingly I have been given the name of another source ofsweet potato slips in California (By Charles, a member of the North County San Deigo Rare Fruit Growers). It is called the "House of Alvernaz, 5381 Arena Way, P.O. Box 474, Livingston, CA 95334".

Good luck!

Richard Primbs
    Encinitas (Leucadia) CA

• glenda_grower
    15 years ago

We attempted to make sweet potato "slips" and planted when it appeared appropriate. We harvested yesterday and were disappointed. Is there anywhere in CA where we can buy SLIPS? Thank you.

Glenda Tracy
    Shasta Lake, CA

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Glenda,

If you got slips when you tried to start them, but the harvest was not so good, chances are it was not the fault of your home grown slips. Perhaps conditions had something to do with it.

I'd add just one detail to Richard's instructions. Be sure that you have your sprouting roots in a nice warm place. They will be very hesitant to sprout if they are not warm.

Hey! Good news! Sandhill Preservation Center ships sweet potato slips to California! Look at the link below. I bet this is because they are shipped without any soil on them at all. Sandhill Preservation Center has the best selection of heirlooms I've ever seen.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandhill Sweet Potatoes

• Kathyapeck_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

PLEASE SEND DIRECTIONS TO MAKE SWEET POTATO SLIPS. THANK YOU KATHY

• Macmex
    13 years ago

Kathy, I'm only using IPod at the moment. When I get to a real computer I'll send you an instruction sheet (s) I did on this.

George

• mstober_inbox_com
    12 years ago

PLEASE SEND DIRECTIONS TO MAKE SWEET POTATO SLIPS. THANK YOU Mari

• abasgma_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I am having difficulty finding directions for planting an Okinawa Red Sweet Potato. I received one small tuber from a cousin and would like to grow them. Do I cut the "eyes" sections and plant them or do I begin growing indoors like regular sweet potatoes (In a jar in water)? Thanks, Pat

• Macmex
    12 years ago

Here's a link to an article I wrote. It should help with your questions. I can send this as a MS Word document upon request.

George

Here is a link that might be useful: The Indispensable Sweet Potato

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor