Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kinjapan

Have you ever seen this cuke?

kinjapan
14 years ago

Currently I'm living in Japan and a friend here gave me a cucumber plant after she found out I like gardening. I've gotten some cucumbers already and they're half white and long. I've never seen anything like it really. I asked my friend what they were called and she didn't know, just said she had gotten the seeds from her grandparents. Have any of you heard of such a cucumber? Do you know what it's called?

Picture:

Comments (6)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

Many Asian cukes are long and some are vary shades of white. Not many OP's come to the US tho. Kitazawa which vend Japanese seed here carry mostly hybrids. There are two Korean Cucumbers available in the USA (Evergreen seed) that look like your photo. White Sun and Silver Green ( both however are hybrids)

• lumpyspal
    14 years ago

Is it this one perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cucumber Suyo

• hatchjon
    14 years ago

lumpyspal: Nope not that one. I've grown Suyo Long which look like the ones in your link. The cucumber pictured in kinjapan's post looks nothing like the Suyo.
    I love how that cucumber is almost white. How do the cucumbers taste?

Jon

• lumpyspal
    14 years ago

hatchjon

I have a friend who is 2nd generation Japanese-American and she grows all types of Asian vegetables. I sent her the photo that you provided and asked her if she could help.

I'll post once I hear from her.

LumpysPal

• lumpyspal
    14 years ago

hatchjon

My friend looked at the photo that you provided and said that she's fairly certain that this is the 'kyuri' cucumber variety.

HTH

LumpysPal

• lumpyspal
    14 years ago

Here's a source for Japanese cucumber varieties that might come close to what you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitazawa Seed Co.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!