Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccclontz

Searching for white seeded pole bean

ccclontz
17 years ago

My husbands uncle used to save seeds for a pole green bean that he grew in his corn. The beans were similar to white half runner.The pods and beans were a little larger than white half runner. The vines grew tall up in the corn & went across from one row to another. I can remember picking them above my head. He died & I had not saved any of the seeds. I have not grown any pole bean that is like this one & I would like to get some seeds for a bean like this. I planted some McClasken last night-the seeds look similar. Has anyone grown the McClasken that can tell me if they taste anthing like half runners?

Comments (7)

• Macmex
    17 years ago

Do you mean McCaslan Pole Bean? I couldn't find any mention, anywhere, of a McClasken Pole Bean. Southern Exposure Seed Exchange states that McCaslan produces a 7" pod with beans good for snap, shell or dry harvest.

Take a look at the link below. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds has McCaslan and two down from it is a Molly Frazier's White Cutshort, which sounds similar to what your husband's uncle grew, only the vines are described as "short."

I haven't grown white half runner, but I understand that its seeds are round. A cutshort will have square ended seeds.

Hope this helps! It's hard when you lose a family heirloom.

George
    Tahlequah

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek ~ McCaslan

• gene_washdc
    17 years ago

"Has anyone grown the McClasken that can tell me if they taste anthing like half runners?"

Basketmaker, my understanding is that the term "half runners" describes a pole bean's form rather than taste. You might want to direct your question to Bill Best and his associates at Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center. They have a collection of 300+ heirloom beans, and would know if anyone does -- and would be able to supply you with seeds too.

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

Besides Southern Exposure and Baker Creek as possible bean sources the SSE Yearbook is treasure trove of all kinds of beans, bush and pole. But one needs to be an SSE member to request varieties from other members.

However, Glenn Drowns at Sand Hill Preservation, online, offers many pole bean varieties that are from the Yearbook since he's an SSE member and also Curator for Cucurbits for SSE, and you might take a look at that site as well.

Just a few that might interest you are:

Brown Speckled Greasy, a cut short type
    Honeycutt Pioneer Cutshort ( N/A this season)
    Ohio Cutshort
    Old Time Cutshort

If I were you I'd also check The Vermont Bean Seed Co, also online. Lots and lots and lots of bean varieties offered, of ALL types.

Carolyn

• gene_washdc
    17 years ago

Wow, Sand Hill Preservation has updated their website since I looked last fall. Looks nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sand Hill Preservation

• JoanofPa
    17 years ago

I would take a chance and try the seed swap forum. If anyone has them or plans saving them this year, they are usually so kind to swap or just send them to you.

• jimster
    17 years ago

What do they look like?

I grow Tarbais, which is an excellent white pole bean. It grows very tall. Other than that, I have no reason to think it is the one you are looking for.

Tarbais looks like a small, fat lima or a flat kidney. It's kind of inbetween.

Jim

• Macmex
    17 years ago

Could this be what you're looking for? Take a look at this link to seed being offered on Ebay.

George

Here is a link that might be useful: White Lanford Pole Bean

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider