Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goatster

Tigger Melon

goatster
17 years ago

Ok I went through the archives and found folks don't like the Tigger. I just planted some. Oh well, it will be fun for the little one to see them. CAn you all, give my your top 5 picks of sweetest "small" melons that grow well in my zone? I do prefer the heirlooms. Thanks

Comments (9)

• reign
    17 years ago

What is sweet to me may not be sweet to you. :) But define "small". You mean single serving size?

• goatster
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Small would be single serving to about the size of a large cantalope. 1-3 servings. I suppose you are right, I or my little girl may actually like the Tigger. Time will tell.

• greenwitch
    17 years ago

I grew Minnesota Midget last year and it takes up very little room, bears single serving size very sweet and tasty melons. It's a short-season melon and did just fine in Southern California (inland valley).

• sewnmom7
    17 years ago

goatster, this sound fun,a small sized watermelon. do you by chanch have any of those seeds left, i have moon & star ,a large melon,plmk,molly

• goatster
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sewnmom7 I have seeds left. I only planted 3 of the Tigger melons. I did moon and stars last year and they were the best producing but large for us a family of 3. I have volunteers of them all out in the garden! You will have to tell me what plmk means.

• goatster
    Original Author
    17 years ago

greenwitch Minnesota Midget sounds great. Any chance you have a few spare seeds? I could send you some type of melon I have. I do have several types. Charentais, Bush Sugar Baby, Ali Baba, Blacktail Mountain, Orengeglo, Moon and Stars. If not I am sure I can find the seed at EBAY. Thanks for the suggestion!

• greenwitch
    17 years ago

goatster, I'm sorry I didn't save any seed and someone took the remainder in the package at an exchange I went to. However, Thomson and Morgan has them on sale half price - today is the last day of the sale however.

• fert1
    17 years ago

I thought the little Butterscotch (Sweetie) melons I grew were good. Got the seeds from Johnnyseeds. They are single-serving sized, and seem to be a cross between a tiny cantaloupe and a tiny honeydew. They have been the sweetest of any melons I've grown and quite productive too. The only downside is that they are prone to cracking open. Then ants and other insects get into them. So you have to keep a close eye on those.

• francie_barnes_gmail_com
    12 years ago

how can I tell when a tigger watermelon is ripe?