Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soulreaver

Question About Pollination of Cucumber Plant

soulreaver
14 years ago

This year I bought a pack of heirloom double yield cucumber seeds. One of the seeds I planted back in march I noticed was very different from all the rest. The leaves were twice as big as they should of been.

As a result this plant grew enormous and now has 5 full vines that are all the size of other individual whole cucumber plants growing.

My question is, is it ok to inbreed this plant to ensure I get this incredible vigor and yield out of all the seeds?

None of the other double yield plants even come close to this one in size. It is now a full 400% bigger than any other plant and I want to preserve and grow this fluke strain that has arisen out of this seed.

Comments (3)

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

Its worth a try.

Maybe you should inbreed it and also cross it with the best of the others?

• soulreaver
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just dont have any other plants that even come close to being what it is so I am afraid to do anything but inbreed it. So I think as long as there aren't any huge negative effects I should probably inbreed it to keep the vigor. Thanks

• mistercross
    14 years ago

I've never worked with cucumbers, but Carol Deppe's book, "Breed your own Vegetable Varieties" lists Cucumis sativus as self compatible. If I understand correctly, flowers may be either perfect, or separate male and female flowers. It notes that in some modern varieties flowers may be almost all female. Since you have heirlooms, that shouldn't be a problem.

You should be able to inbreed it, but if there is a problem, such as male flowers developing before female ones are ready, then you might have to cross it with others, and then try to inbreed the offspring to get back the properties you want.

It is always possible that this isn't a new variety, but a different seed that got mixed into your package by mistake.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio