Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
takadi

Free samples from Burpee?

takadi
14 years ago

A friend told me online that Burpee sometimes sends you free samples of heirloom seeds to try out or sometimes even recruits you to plant their seeds and produce more seeds for them. Is this true?

Comments (3)

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

I have no idea. Have not ordered from Burpee, since George Ball bought the company. Too pricey for my budget. They did make an effort several year back to get into the heirlomm market, even to the point of having special "heirloom" seed racks in stores. Many companies do send extra trial packages with orders and they are usually openpollinated seed. You have to be carefull with "heirlooms" they are all open pollinated but many of them are recent introductions, some by amateur breeders, others were commercially introduced, and failed in the commercial market. Example is the tomato sold as the Arkansas Traveler, lots of hype and tall tales, but it one of two commercial tomatoes introduced by the University of Arkansas in the mid seventies, Traveler and Traveler 76 to be specific.

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

I bought some seeds from burpee this year, for having a purchase over $25 I got a free gift. 1oz of garden tone, enough for about 8 plants.

• arunbassist_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Hello,
    I am writing to ask whether it would be possible for you to provide me few free gardening seeds sample.
    I also include a telephone number at which you can be contact if necessary to discuss any aspect of my request.
    ARUN M SASIDHARAN
    MANTHIPARAMBIL
    THAMMANAM P.O
    KOCHI -682032
    KERALA INDIA
    91-9497545497