Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why didn't ANY of my seedlings grow?

Posted by tomatoesaretops 5A (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 07 at 12:25

I planted 36 heirloom seeds - 9 of 4 different kinds of tomatoes (brandywine, wolford's wonder, white queen & paul robeson) - 24 went into small containers with organic soil. 12 went in special peat containers. I put three seeds in each of the 36 containers.

not a single one produced so much as a sprout. not one. I put them in a shady place for 2 days and then into the sun - and kept them moist. I waited 'til after the last frost.

what did I do wrong? not one seed sprouted? I just don't understand. - ps. I got my seeds from www.tomatofest.com - which I read wonderful reviews about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why didn't ANY of my seedlings grow?

Try leaving them in the house. They really don't need light as much as soil temp until they get going. Just put them in a room with a window for a few days.

o

They can take a while to germinate - perhaps you should try between moist towels in a plastic bag first - ? That's what I do, and then I carefully plant them in their containers.

o

I usually have pretty good luck starting toms, but some varieties seem to take much longer than others. I start my seeds using a sterilized seed starting medium with bottom heat in a clear storage container (to keep humidity up so I don't have to water until they have sprouted). I've read that using soil is not a good way to start seeds since soil may contain pathogens that can cause damping off.
Tim

o

How long ago did you start them? And were they outside? If you're in zone 5, it's been too cold at night, but inside is great, especially near a heat vent until they sprout. I use self-watering containers because I am bad at keeping seedlings evenly moist. Peat should be great for starting them.
Also, once they do sprout, my dad said not to plant them outside until Memorial Day! I wait until at least after Mother's Day, but mine are pretty big already.
You might want to ask this on the tomato list, if you haven't already.
Amelie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here