Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatoesaretops

why didn't ANY of my seedlings grow?

tomatoesaretops
16 years ago

I planted 36 heirloom seeds - 9 of 4 different kinds of tomatoes (brandywine, wolford's wonder, white queen & paul robeson) - 24 went into small containers with organic soil. 12 went in special peat containers. I put three seeds in each of the 36 containers.

not a single one produced so much as a sprout. not one. I put them in a shady place for 2 days and then into the sun - and kept them moist. I waited 'til after the last frost.

what did I do wrong? not one seed sprouted? I just don't understand. - ps. I got my seeds from www.tomatofest.com - which I read wonderful reviews about.

Comments (4)

• titan_eddie
    16 years ago

Try leaving them in the house. They really don't need light as much as soil temp until they get going. Just put them in a room with a window for a few days.

• prosodygardener
    16 years ago

They can take a while to germinate - perhaps you should try between moist towels in a plastic bag first - ? That's what I do, and then I carefully plant them in their containers.

• timshaw
    16 years ago

I usually have pretty good luck starting toms, but some varieties seem to take much longer than others. I start my seeds using a sterilized seed starting medium with bottom heat in a clear storage container (to keep humidity up so I don't have to water until they have sprouted). I've read that using soil is not a good way to start seeds since soil may contain pathogens that can cause damping off.
    Tim

• amelie_danjou
    16 years ago

How long ago did you start them? And were they outside? If you're in zone 5, it's been too cold at night, but inside is great, especially near a heat vent until they sprout. I use self-watering containers because I am bad at keeping seedlings evenly moist. Peat should be great for starting them.
    Also, once they do sprout, my dad said not to plant them outside until Memorial Day! I wait until at least after Mother's Day, but mine are pretty big already.
    You might want to ask this on the tomato list, if you haven't already.
    Amelie

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions