Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heirloom Tomatos

Posted by MrPotatohead NSE (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 05 at 13:31

Is it ok to plant heirloom Tomatos near other kinds of tomatos? Lets say Brandywine next to Beefstake, would they cross pollinate each other and screw up the fruit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heirloom Tomatos

Please go to the tomato forum and review the FAQ's link at the top of the page. There is also a current thread on cross pollination in the tomato forum.

In a nutshell, the fruit is not affected even if two varietes cross. The seed can be affected so if you grow seed of Brandywine for example, you could wind up with a regular leaf plant. Tomatoes normally cross at a relatively low rate of about 5%. Under some conditions though, this can be much higher.

Fusion

o

I intend to plant Brandywine tomatoes this year( I bought some plants today).
I was just told that this tomato was very susceptible to disease (some kind of mold?) and that if this disease infected my garden then I would have to abandon that plot of ground because it would infect other plants.. Does any of this make sense?

o

Once again, Joanelaine, I think the best advice would be to go to the Tomato forum and do a search of "brandywine soil disease" or "brandywine soil blight" (without the quotation marks).

Brandywine tomatoes are a HUGELY popular heirloom but I've not grown it because of my short season. There are plenty of newer disease-resistant hybrid varieties. However, I think that it would be far more likely that diseases currently in your garden soil would be more of a threat to your Brandywine than any possible jeopardy your tomato plants would have for future gardens.

Steve

o

I have been growing Brandywines for eight or ten years now, and I have never seen any indication of disease.
My Brandywines are the most robust of all the varieties I grow, and they give the most fruit

o

I am growing Brandywine right next to Beefmaster hybrid. I have never had a problem mixing heirloom and hybrid varieties in the same bed.

o

Well, I didn't think that crossing was likely either and have regularly saved heirloom tomato seed. I knew that there was some question regarding currant tomatoes was all.

However, Zeedman did a fine job on GW's veggie forum recently explaining how it can and does take place. As notes Zeedman - -

"However, some tomatoes are very prone to crossing:
(1) Potato-leaf varieties
(2) Currant tomatoes
(3) Double blossoms of large tomatoes (usually some of the first of the season)
(4) Varieties whose blossoms have a protruding style/stigma"

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: How did Great . . . Grandmother avoid crosses?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here