Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Favorite, best tasting okra for nonokra eating spouse-

tracydr
13 years ago

I love okra. I've never met an okra I didn't like. My husband on the other hand. He didn't grow up eating okra. He finds it slimy and repelling. He has eaten it only a couple of times since we have gotten married, slipped into soups and gumbos, sight unseen. This summer, it's time to teach him that okra is good, okra is delicious, okra is part of our nutritious diet on a daily basis.

Sucks for him to have a southern nutritionist for a wife, doesn't it? Not really, he gets to eat all the home baked bread he wants and has discovered that he loves cobbler, much to his surprise. (he thought cobbler was something that came in a foil pan at those nasty cafeteria restaurants and tasted like cardboard syrup)

So, what's your favorite heirloom variety of okra? I'm buying some seeds this week and would like to try a few to sample the differences in taste, texture and keeping ability. I'll be stir-frying, tossing with cornmeal/parmesan, making gumbos and pickling.

Let me know what you love about each variety and I'll start looking for seeds. Thanks for your inputs!

Comments (9)

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Really, I can't believe that nobody has a favorite okra. You're all growing clemson spineless? Please, share with me. Which okra variety is in your garden and why?

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

Probably because you posted in an "heirloom" forum. You would get more responses in the vegetable forum. At any rate my favorites are the the Velvet types. Emerald, Louisiana Green Velvet, White Velvet etc.
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg1211101117112.html

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

It's probably not the taste. So best tasting isn't going to be much help.

It's the dripping slime, just like eating snot.

I like the flavor of okra, but the only way I can eat it is cut into little rings, generously breaded, and deep fried. That disguises the slime factor.

It's disgusting stuff. I'm sure that okra is what aliens spray on you when they cover you in green slime.

• vikingkirken
    13 years ago

Sorry but I have to agree with Oregon above, I would really like the taste and texture of okra fine, if it wasn't for that SLIME... just can't get past it. If you could find recipes that somehow took out the slime factor, maybe he would eat it?

• genecolin
    13 years ago

Okra is a staple food in south Louisiana. It's fried, stewed and made into gumbo's. No matter how it's cooked, other than fried, to get rid of the slime you need to add an acid to it in the form of vinegar or tomatoes.

My favorite way of eating it is to first chop the okra much as you would for fried okra. Put it in a large Magnalite roaster pan, pour about 1/4 cup of good vegetable oil over it. Chop a couple of large onions and put on top of the okra and then put 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes and peppers on top of that. Put on lid and put in 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven, the contents will have cooked down to about 3/4 of it original size. Stir well and return to oven for another hour, repeat the stirring. Depending on how well its done, return it back to the oven for 30 minutes to an hour to finish. At that point you have the basis for a couple of great dishes.

The okra can be salted to taste and eaten right out of the pot with no slime. Or, you can take some of the okra and put in a smaller pot and add some small peeled shrimp to it. Cook only until the shrimp are done, usually less than 10 minutes. Salt to taste and eat.

To make gumbo, add the cooked okra to gumbo pot, add water and seasoning to taste. To this add whatever you want, shrimp, crab, chicken etc. Bring to a boil and them reduce heat to low and cook slowly until done. Serve over a bowl of rice with the addition of a little Tabasco. This isn't served like a stew with just a little liquid over the rice, rather, put a scoop or two of rice into a bowl and then fill the bowl to the brim with the gumbo. It's eaten much like a soup. Needless to say you need a side of great tasting potato salad to top it off. An if you're Cajun, you'll put the tator salad in the same bowl with the gumbo.

Fresh picked.

Okra in roasting pan.

Onions on top.

Rotel on top.

Done.

Stored in ZipLock freezer bag for future use.

I hope this helps hubby.
    "gene"

• melody777
    13 years ago

Okra & tomatoes, gumbo, fried...all good. I like clemson spineless

• vogt0047
    13 years ago

I grow Clemson Spineless but I can attest that how you cook the okra makes all the difference in the taste and texture of it.

This recipe convinced my carnivore hubby that even us vegetarians eat well. It is Indian but sooooo good. Never had slimy okra with this recipe.

Skillet Roasted Spiced Okra

3/4 tsp hot paprika
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp ground corinader
    1/4 tsp ground fennel
    1/4 tsp tumeric
    pinch of cinnamon
    2T Vegetable oil
    1 lb cut okra
    Salt
    Juice from 1/2 lemon

In small bowl blend all spices. In large skillet heat oil and add Okra. Cook over high heat 2-3 Min. Reduce heat and cook until lightly brown. Sprinkle with spice blend and cook until tender. Remove from heat and salt to taste. Sprinkle lemon juice just before serving.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the great, detailed recipes! I should have some emerald and Clemson spineless any day now!

• zebraman
    13 years ago

Hey Tracydr; Your husband doesn't like the musco-gelatinous slime from the inside of the pod. You should pick the pods small 2-3 inches and cook them whole without cutting off the tops. Get him used to eating them without the slime.