Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Heirloom and or interesting lettuces for heat/summer?

flowersandthings
18 years ago

Which heirloom or "interesting" (i.e. bronze leaf etc.) lettuces for summer? I'm growing red oak leaf and heard it is tolerant of summer heat.... Which others? It seems a shame that when all the other salad veggies are best straight from the garden (summer) (like cucumber tomatos etc.) the lettuces aren't at their peak! I have alot of nice shade I can grow them in which would help keep them cooler.... Can marvel de quatre saisons (quattro stagioni - four seasons) lettuce grow in summer? Or should I wait for that one untill fall? I particularly like cutting (loose leaf) and bibb/butterhead and romaine type lettuces.... :)

Comments (7)

• breezyb
    18 years ago

The "Batavia" types are supposed to resist summer heat well. I haven't tried them yet, but believe I have a packet of one or two to sow this season.

In fact, I could be wrong, but isn't "Four Seasons" a Batavia type?

• debbieisbell
    18 years ago

I tried "4 Seasons" last year for the 1st time and it is now my favorite lettuce! Up early in the spring and lasts though the hot summer.I love it!I love the color also,reddish on the outside and green leaves inside.I also like "Nevada" for summer,takes a long time to bolt.

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's nice that you say four seasons does well in heat.... I'd love to try it.... one source said it doesn't color up in summer (only in cool weather) is that true?

• debbieisbell
    18 years ago

Mine is always colored.

• silybum
    18 years ago

I have grown lettuce all summer in partial shade and it does great. My favorite is the cut and come again type. Particularly, Renee's Garden's Ceasar Salad Duo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Renee's Garden

• yousaytomato
    18 years ago

Well the reason lettuce does well in part shade and does not bolt in hot weather is most lettuce is day length sensitive once it reaches a certain maturity, which cause it to bolt.

• bmckay
    18 years ago

Four Seasons is a butterhead lettuce and in my experience, does not do particularly well in the summer in that it has moderate resistance to bolting. It is not awful, but seems to prefer spring & fall a bit better & certainly colors up better in the fall (it is just beautiful).

Check the back of seed packs; 'most of them will say how likely they are to bolt.

Bill McKay

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus