Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elkski

IT looks like an Obssesion

elkski
18 years ago

No matter what the topic or hobby is if I go on the web I can find folks who are more crazy than me!!! Seems to be alot of mater heads on here...

I planted 16 plants up from my normal 8-10.

In the past I usally choose better boy and early girl.

This year I went loco and have

Big Early

Beefsteak

Ace

Champion

Supersweet 100 -cherry

jet star

super fantastic-chery

after reading some posts here I can see I might have to go to heirlooms?? I have read alot of things that indicate brandywine is something special???

Can you guys/gals comment on my plant types for this year and suggest some post to read on selections for next year.

I dont start my plants from seed but I guess I could get more sick if you folks tell me its worth it.

Thanks

ELK

Comments (3)

• silybum
    18 years ago

If you not obsessd yet, you will be after you see these tomatoes:

click on the "photos" link at the bottom of the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Love Apple Farm

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

after reading some posts here I can see I might have to go to heirlooms?? I have read alot of things that indicate brandywine is something special???
    Can you guys/gals comment on my plant types for this year and suggest some post to read on selections for next year.
    I dont start my plants from seed but I guess I could get more sick if you folks tell me its worth it.

Elk,

What you need to do ASAP is go to the top of this page and click on the link to the TOmato Forum where heirloom tomatoes are discussed about 99% of the time and that's where the majority of tomato obsessed folks hang out.

I won't take the time to critique your current varieties since you already have them. LOL

And yes, going to seeds is often the only way you'll be able to grow the heirloom varieties you learn about and want to grow. And be sure to take some time to read the backpages in the tomato Forum if you aren't familiar with heirloom varieties.

There are several excellent places to buy transplants and the good folks over there can help you with that as well.

Actually there are two long time GW members who have websites where they do sell plants at the right time of the year and their lists reflect what's so called HOT in the heirloom tomato world as well as some of the well recognized more common heirloom varieties.

But there are other sources as well, for plants.

And lots of sources for seeds as well, some much better than others.

But I'd rather have lots of folks give you input rather than me blathering on here, so do take time to check out the Tomato Forum and post there.

Carolyn

• elkski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for posting Carolyn!! and now I am curious about the faults in my picks for this year...Basically I took what they had at the store!!! IF you don't want to repond to all my toms can you give my a posting to search my plants?
    Thanks
    ELK