Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrigan_gw

Homestead tomatoes

corrigan
16 years ago

I don't know if they just don't like me or what, but I'm having more problems with these plants than anything! It's almost unbelievable. I am a first time gardener, so I'm positive that has something to do with it, but I'm growing Cherokee Purple, Yellow Pear and the beefsteak Mr. Stripey all with no trouble at all, except a little blossom drop on the CP. The Homestead, though, ugh. I have 4 of them planted in 3 different beds and all 4 of them have had one problem or another, and not even all the same problems. Some of the other plants are in the same beds and having no problems, just the Homesteads. I live in south Texas, so maybe they aren't good for my area. Has anyone else found that they seem especially susceptible to...everything?

Comments (6)

• Macmex
    16 years ago

I haven't grown them myself. But I understand that all of the Homestead varieties are pretty good with heat. It's hard to say. Sometimes there are just bad breaks. Sometimes there really is something which a given variety doesn't handle well. To narrow it down, you might try them again, next year, but plant in a different part of the garden.

I am trying to grow a family heirloom tomato which , for going on two years now, seems to be flubbing, here in OK. It's probably related to that specific variety, as we've had struggles with it in NJ, when we lived there. Yet, in other places I've heard reports of fantastic performance. Go figure!

Experiment a little each year. Retain what you like, and what does well for you. Welcome to the "mystique" of gardening!

George
    Tahlequah, OK

PS. You might try posting this on the tomato growing forum and see if anyone of the real "tomato connoisseurs" can tell you more about Homestead as a variety.

• corrigan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the reply... I spoke too soon on the others! I noticed tiny issues with two of the others right after posting, lol. Sigh. Hopefully I end up with some tomatoes. I don't care if I have the prettiest garden, as long as I get some tomatoes that taste better than the junk at the grocery store. :)

• josie23
    16 years ago

Are there black walnut or butternut trees nearby (by nearby I mean within 50 feet). They both product toxins that are harmful to tomato plants. They don't have to be right next to the garden. My neighbor has on on the other side of his yard, and it is still close enough that I cannot grow tomatoes in my garden.

I have to grow them in pots.

• silerplace93_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

If you live in the South, try the German Johnson heirloom variety. They are easy to grow and have large pink tomatoes with a wonderful taste. Best back yard tomato I have ever tasted. I have grown them for years.

• FoothillsTiger
    11 years ago

Hard to say without knowing more info but here is a guess. Homesteads like more water than most tomatoes. 2" vs 1" weekly. Dont over water and its best to water thoroughly then wait 4-5 days, assuming its dry. Dont water a little every day. Also mulch and keep bottom limbs cut off. HST's don't like splash up after watering or rain. Keeping bottom limbs off will steer energy into tomatoes and avoid disease from the ground. Make sure soil is not too sandy or heavy (clay). Work in good compost and make sure area drains well. Dont over fertilize or use high nitrogen. Use a fertilizer with trace minerals if you can get it. Most garden centers will have it but avoid 10-10-10 at discount stores. Believe it or not, lint from your vacuum worked into the soil will give them trace minerals like calcium, mg, etc. Hope this helps. I love homesteads but know they are basically a determinate tomatoe which means they will most likely give one good harvest. After that it may be sketchy. I know some who get a 2nd production but its ify at best.

• butchfomby
    9 years ago

soil, fertilizing, water, sunshine are all very important....
    soil...mix... your soil (if not contaminated), compost, and peat moss...same amount for each...a good draining soil is necessary for roots to get oxygen...
    fertilizing...fish and seaweed mix is good way to go for tomatoes...add a handful of epsom salt per plant
    water...water deeply when watering, not just the top of soil, wait awhile before next watering, 2 or 3 days at least...this will air get to roots....you want your roots to go down after water
    sunshine...no less than 6 or 7 hours of morning sun...the indian