Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilary_anne_gw

'Spotted Lady' Beans?

Hilary_Anne
17 years ago

Hello,

Last fall I got a bunch of bean seeds and they were labled "Spotted Lady" beans. I did some research and couldn't find any beans by that name, so I was wondering what you guys think it is.

The seeds were light brown with dark brown spots, and were about 3/4" across, and they are an heirloom variety. I planted them last week, and they have sent up dark green leaves with green-purple veins.

Were they mislabled? Are they supposed to be called "Painted Lady"? I thought that could be it, but they are supposed to be rare and shouldn't grow this far North(I live in WI).

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• Macmex
    17 years ago

Where did you get the seeds from? Perhaps your source can clarify. I looked in the Seed Savers Exchange year book and descriptions for Painted Lady Runner Bean and found some variation in seed color descriptions. But tan, "whitish" and brown speckles seem to be the consensus. Are the beans you planted runner beans? If not sure, you can tell when they come up as the cotyledons (seed leaves) stay in the ground, unlike the regular vulgaris kinds.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• Hilary_Anne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got them for free from a living history museum. They are runners, beyond that I don't know.

thanks!
    Hilary WI

• Macmex
    17 years ago

Here's a link to a picture of Painted Lady's blooms. If all else fails you can compare flowers when your plants flower : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Lady

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!