Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raymondo_gw

Fagiolina

Raymondo
18 years ago

I got hold of some fagiolina seeds, Vigna unguiculata. This is a small bean grown in Italy, though less and less these days. I have a variety called "Frusta Whip" but have been unable to find out anything about it. Anyone out there know anything about this variety?

Comments (4)

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Vigna unguiculata usually means cowpea, Raymondo, rather than bean.

I'm not familiar with that particular variety, so can't help in terms of how they'll grow. Most often, cowpeas grow on rampant vines, so you want to leave plenty of room. There are some bush types, too, however.

In the days when veggies were divided into garden plants and field plants, Vignas were considered to be field plants because of the space they need. They also were often grown as livestock feed, which explains the common names of cowpea; field pea; stock pea; and the like.

In terms of culture, treat them just like beans. That is, plant them after all danger of frost is past and the soil has warmed up. Vignas, btw, are often used as a cover crop to provide nitrogen to soil, and add organic matter.

Wish I could be more helpful.

• bmckay
    18 years ago

What is the name of the bean. Is it dolico - dall-occhio? Is the seed white with a little 'eye' If so, it is kind of a cow pea, but most folks use it to grow a really nice tasting thin fillet type bean. They will grow three feet or so high; you get sets of three beans on the top. Pick them before the pods swell and just cook them. They are really tasty.

Bill McKay in Eastern Massachusetts

• Raymondo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Fagiolina just means little bean in Italian I think. They are definitely Vigna unguiculata, original seeds taken to Italy several hundred years ago and they have developed quite a few varieties. The variety I have is called Frusta Whip, but as I said I can't track down any information on it. Yardlong beans, cowpeas and fagiolina all belong to the same species.
    And the bean you mentioned Bill is Dolichos lablab, called Poor Man's Bean among many other things.

• DerbyTas
    18 years ago

Hi Ray
    I too have some of these beans (Frusta Whip) but they do not do very well down here (Tasmania)...at least in the last three years...they should do better further north where you are and where it is warmer
    From memory they have long thin pods(a bit like small snake beans)...the seeds are quite small and look (to me) somewhat like azuki beans
    cheers
    Peter