Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doug26041

composting

doug26041
15 years ago

I am trying to compost. I am using a 55 gal plastic drum. I have painted it black elevated off teh ground so it can be rotated drilled vent holes cut in a door but am having no good results. Can anyone help, please

Comments (2)

• dan_2007
    15 years ago

Hi, it can take some time to get all the organisms growing in there and not being in contact with the ground you will be missing most worms and insects.

You should make sure that you are added a mix of green and brown material. Brown material can be hard to find this time of year, I use newspaper, ground mulch, saw dust, dried grass clippings etc when leaves are not available. Keep it moist but not soggy. It also may be helpful to add some manure or good compost to get the organisms.

I use one of the black composters that cities often sell the citizens. It seems to work well, some time it gets a lot of attention at which time it gets steaming hot and other times it get neglected and turns into a stinky mess. Either way, in time it will make good compost.

• robertz6
    15 years ago

I purchased a tumbler and used it a year and a half. It was more trouble than the mesh bins which I use now (seven).

The Composting forum is the best place to ask this question. Soil, Compost and Mulch forum is the full forum title.