Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
composting

Posted by doug26041 (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 21:57

I am trying to compost. I am using a 55 gal plastic drum. I have painted it black elevated off teh ground so it can be rotated drilled vent holes cut in a door but am having no good results. Can anyone help, please

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: composting

Hi, it can take some time to get all the organisms growing in there and not being in contact with the ground you will be missing most worms and insects.

You should make sure that you are added a mix of green and brown material. Brown material can be hard to find this time of year, I use newspaper, ground mulch, saw dust, dried grass clippings etc when leaves are not available. Keep it moist but not soggy. It also may be helpful to add some manure or good compost to get the organisms.

I use one of the black composters that cities often sell the citizens. It seems to work well, some time it gets a lot of attention at which time it gets steaming hot and other times it get neglected and turns into a stinky mess. Either way, in time it will make good compost.

o
RE: composting

I purchased a tumbler and used it a year and a half. It was more trouble than the mesh bins which I use now (seven).

The Composting forum is the best place to ask this question. Soil, Compost and Mulch forum is the full forum title.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here