Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
comrad_kev

Wild Mexican Tomatoes

Comrad_Kev
16 years ago

I have a variety of tomato from a company that is now closed. They sold the variety under the name Wild Mexican Tomatoes. Recently I discussed the origins with them (as I am now the only known seed producer and would like to document its origins), and they said the seed was smuggled to them. Although I was told the details of how it was smuggled to them, I believe I was told in confidence and I shall not repeat it. I have already approached this source and they are tight-lipped as to where the seed originally came from or any other details about the variety.

So I turn to you... if you don't mind, could you take a look at the Wild Mexican Tomato variety discussed at http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddqgf68h_6dv82fn? I'd like to know 2 things:

1. Can someone confirm that these tiny fruit are tomatoes and not current tomatoes? A picture of the blossom is on the page, I just want to make sure I am correct in my understanding.

2. Anyone know a name or location for this variety?

Comments (5)

• ruthieg__tx
    16 years ago

I can't get the link to work for me....

• Comrad_Kev
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whoops, thanks ruthieg__tx, you are correct, my posting could be more clear. The link is inside a question, the '?' is not part of the link. The link is:
    http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddqgf68h_6dv82fn

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts a follow-up.

• brightmeadow
    16 years ago

Hi:

I think that there are a few tomatoes that are wild tomatoes in Mexico. Perhaps the company you bought them from did not have the name. These look very small in the photo so technically I think they would be classified as 'currant' tomatoes. Check out this link and scroll down to Matt's Wild Cherry to compare yours. http://www.amishlandseeds.com/red_tomatoes.htm
    When I am trying to identify varieties for Seeds of Diversity Canada enquiries, I need more than a picture of the fruit and flower. The entire plant's growth pattern is important as well as the leaves. Not to mention the flavour!

Brightmeadow

• Comrad_Kev
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm a member of Seeds of Diversity Canada, and according to "How to Save Your Own Seeds, 5th Edition, p 43, "Currant tomatoes have fruit that are 5-10 mm in diameter and grow in clusters on large viny plants. This species of tomato displays a prominent style: the female part of the flower extends beyond the cone of the flower..."

These fruit are 18 mm wide. Perhaps more importantly, I thought the picture shows that the style does not extend past the cone. Am I wrong in my assessment?

• Macmex
    16 years ago

Comrad,

I don't understand why they would have to smuggle the seed. Any one can carry tomato seed from Mexico into the USA any time they want, long as it isn't in the tomato itself (and I'm not positive about that prohibition). I lived down there for over 14 years and brought many seeds into the USA.

This tomato looks like so many wild types that are found in many parts of the country. I've seen them especially in hot tropical country like in coastal Veracruz, San Luis Potosí and Tamaulipas. But I'm pretty sure that the range is a lot greater than that. In 1990 I saved seed of some similar tomatoes, probably from Veracruz, but which I purchased in a market in Tlatlauqui, Puebla. I sent in a sample to the Seed Savers Exchange. I dubbed it "Veracruzano." But the fact is that there are many variations of the same thing throughout Mexico and Central America. I wouldn't call them endangered. But someday they could get that way. Most rural Mexicans are not into seed saving. These just come up in the bush and fields, volunteering every year. I am growing (trialing) seed from one which I believe to be a cross between these and some domesticated tomato. The fruit I purchased (in the state of Hidalgo) was the size of a ping pong ball, pink and born in groups of five or six.

George

Tahlequah, OK

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida