Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miltpat

Andes tomato

miltpat
18 years ago

Does anyone know anyhthing about Andes tomatoes? What are their growing requirements?

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Does anyone know anyhthing about Andes tomatoes? What are their growing requirements?

You've used the plural so I'm not sure if you're referring to tomato varieties, as a group, from the Andes, or specifically the variety Andes, also known as Andine Cornue, Poivron de Andes.

So I'll look here for your answer.

No special growing requirements at all, this variety being a long red paste type similar to Opalka, Howard German and many others.

It isn't particularly clear that this variety is actually native to the Andes.

Carolyn

• marshallz10
    18 years ago

Where is "here", Carolyn?

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Where is "here", Carolyn?

Here means here, as in this thread.

I've found that sometimes folks who are new to GW send answers directly back to the person answering/asking questions, in this case me, and all questions and answers should be posted publically.

So here is here. LOL

Carolyn

• greenthumbgal_7
    18 years ago

I'm growing this variety (Cornue des Andes) in the east San Francisco Bay Area, where we generally have warm spring and fall weather, and a couple of cool summer months. The plant is in a 15-gallon pot in a sunny southern exposure, and is staked. It's very large and healthy, but it hasn't set much fruit just yet. The first tomato might be ready in another few weeks.

From what I've read this is one of France's favorite tomatoes. I get the impression it's pretty widely adapted. Hope this helps.

GTG

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus