Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasonw_gw

How Close Can I Plant My Heirlooms To Eachother?

jasonw
17 years ago

I have 6 6-gallon paint buckets on my 4th floor fire escape in Boston, Mass. In each bucket there a three tomato plants of the same heirloom variety. So I have about 6 varieties (Elberta Girl, Cherokee Purple, Green Zebra, White, Brandywine, and a couple different cherries). I planted them 3 per bucket 3.5 weeks ago, and since have been told repeatedly that 3 plants per bucket will kill them all. HOWEVER, the plants have grown from between .75 and 1.25 feet each (depending on the variety), since planting. Another malady is that I purchased Miracle Grow GARDEN (not potting) soil that contains 3 months worth of time-released food. Could these two negatives be canceling each other out? Most of the plants have flowers already, but no fruit, and the only negative thing I've noticed is thin foliage. I just blamed that on their being heirlooms. Can anyone help? Should I worry about what the future holds for my precious tomatoes?

Comments (4)

• tomatoesaretops
    17 years ago

I was told that when planting in-ground that tomatoes like a minimum of 3 feet apart. I have several in containers as well. I've been told that tomatoes need a minimum of a 4 gallon container each. I'm not an expert but I hate to tell you that 3 tomatoes in one bucket sounds like bad news to me. I can only suggest that you only put one tomato in each bucket. In the end you'll be happier because you'll actually get fruit and you'll get to see the one tomato thrive rather than three tomatoes fighting for space. - as for all the extras - well you can try to get as many as possible into new pots or give them to friends and family that will take good care of them - don't dig them up until you can find them a nice home - it would be like abandoning kittens to simply dispose of them.

I'll take care of them!

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

I agree with the previous reply. While your tomatoes may look healthy now, once they set fruit, there will be insufficient nutrients, and they will either starve or be severely stunted. Try to find new homes for the extras; but barring that, thin to one per pot - and given the size of the plants, sooner is better than later.

• maryinpnw
    17 years ago

Three plants in a 6 gallon bucket doesn't bode well for your plants. Should be one tomato per bucket, unless you are growing miniature varieties like Tiny Tim or Micro Tom. If the plants are small enough, I would try to gently dig around them, preserving the root ball and transplant them elsewhere. Tomatoes are pretty tough, so if you loose some roots, it may be ok.

If it is hot where you are, it might be better to transplant at a cooler time of day.

If the roots of the three plants are all grown together, I would cut two plants in each pot to the soil surface, saving one plant.

As for the Miracle Grow Garden Soil, since you have flowers, I guess I would experiment and see what happens.

All the best.

Mary

• feldon30
    17 years ago

I really think you're going to have to bite the bullet and separate those plants. You're going to be very unhappy with the results if you leave them there. Any damage you do by separating the plants now will be mitigated by the success of most of those plants once separated. I think they will bounce back. Three very unhappy Cherokee Purples will be worse than 1 healthy Cherokee Purple.

Just VERY carefully shake off the soil and slowly separate the roots with your fingers, then replant into POTTING SOIL in containers.

Be careful not to overfertilize (although this is more difficult in a container since some of the fertilizer is lost every time you water). I would water with fish emulsion and/or seaweed/kelp concentrate every week to 10 days.