Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suchit_gw

Help!!! My tomato plants are in trouble

suchit
15 years ago

Hi, everyone:

About 5 weeks back, for the first time ever in my life, I planted vegetable crop in my home -- four heirloom tomato plants (store-bought, in pots). In the beginning, after I transferred them from pots to my little garden, they were about one and a half feet tall. Now, they are just growing like crazy (right now about 5 ft tall), and there are only 3 tomatos, with one of the four plants without any. Can anyone help me with this? Why aren't tomatos showing up on the plants?

Thanks in advance

Suchit

Comments (5)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

They sound like healthy plants. If you are fertilizing them, ease up on the fertilizer. Fertilizer will give you big green plants - but no fruit. Also what have your temperatures been? Tomatoes only set fruit if day time temps are under 95 and night time temps are above 50.

• snooper
    15 years ago

116 degrees here today! No wonder my tomatoes are not doing well. I prepared "lasagna" beds last fall and set the heirloom tomato plants in them last Feb. Most of my tomato plants don't have any fruit either and some are wilting. Should I shade them or is it too late.

I'm quite disappointed with the lasagna beds...I thought the tomatoes would do better in them. Has anyone else tried them with success?

• chunter
    15 years ago

Have you used fertilizers high in nitrogen? High N levels usually manifest with lots of plant but little fruit.

• code_1_corey
    15 years ago

Well usualy we would need a litle more information before we can give you a proper diagnosis. But in this case I can plainly see that you are being a little too over zealous. It has only been 35 days since you put your plants in your garden! I challenge any one to say that they can get fruit from tomato plant in just 35 days after planting. You should check out your variety of tomato at a seed supplier's web site and find out what the actual ETI of fruit arrival of your specific plants should be.

• greenhummer
    15 years ago

I agree with corey, we really need more information. With hundreds of varities available some plants are more bountiful. For example here are some 10ft plants I'm growing with 2lb fruits. I've been fertilizing twice a week and use lots of mulch and watering. Soil,sun,water are needed in the proper balance as the plant grows. You also need pollinators to pollinate the flowers. It would be helpful to post a picture with more information, as there are lots of knowledgable people here to help you.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting