Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your favorite, best-tasting heirloom kale variety?

Posted by sherilou_2010 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 5, 10 at 8:31

What is your favorite, best-tasting heirloom kale variety? Please describe it's flavor, if possible. Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your favorite, best-tasting heirloom kale variety?

My favorite is Lacinto Kale or Dinosaur Kale or Black Kale. It's known by a handful of different names. I'm not sure I can really describe the flavor but I find it mild. I've read it described as sweeter and more delicate than other varieties (whatever that means).

o

Thank you!! I will put Lacinato on my fall garden list. I'm hoping to have enough greens to carry me through the winter (I'm going to blanch and freeze the extras). I have enough room to experiment with a few different kale varieties. I'm really looking forward to it!

o

Sounds great sherilou! What other greens do you save? Last year I had a surplus on spinach so I blanched and saved those. This is my second year gardening more than a few veggies. I planted some of the Lacinto kale and Swiss chard. I also have some lettuce and some Asian greens (baby bok choy and gai lan).

o

This is my first year of gardening (I volunteer garden for seniors)! I have planted Red Russian (also known as Ragged Jack), a Dwarf Curled Vates variety of Kale and Georgia Collards. I read that the Georgia Collards taste buttery-delicious when they are young and that they're a closer relation to kale than other varieties of collards. I'm going to plant a two more varieties of kale, because I have two senior friends who love greens. Let me know how you like the Asian greens!! Thanks tastyravels!

o

I actually grew the larger bok choy last year and loved it. I love adding it to stir fries (simple). Another simple meals is to stir fry them with a little oil, garlic and ginger. I add some leftover chicken (rotissere works well) and add some chicken broth. It's yummy!!

This year I'm trying the gai lan (Chinese broccoli). I read that you harvest when they're about 6-8 inches tall by cutting the stalks. Then they'll grow back and you can harvest at least 2 more times. Sounded like a great bargain! These I prepare Chinese style with oyster sauce but you could use them like broccoli or raab. Yummy!

I love that you volunteer garden for seniors. What a great way to give back!!

o

I'm hungry now that i've read your post! Do you remember the variety of the larger bok choy from last year? Let me know how you like the gai lan. I sent you an email regarding a possible trade as well. :)

o

It was the larger white bok choy. This is a pics of it:
http://shop.simplyhydro.com/Cabbage-Chinese--Bok-Choy-Lilly-Miller_p_1194.html

It was easy to grow and yummy! I will check my email now.

o

Aloha Sherilou- 'Couve tronchuda', also called Portuguese cabbage, has the most delicious flavored and beautiful giant leaves. It could be called a kale or collard. It doesn't head up, and keeps growing for years, weather permitting. I never even cared about cabbage until I tasted this. Makes your garden look like something out of Alice in Wonderland, visitors always commented on it first.

o

Mahalo Lynnonolena! Couve Tronchuda sounds like my kind of green. :) I'll definitely give it a try. Thank you for the excellent description!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here