Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahoneybunny

old snowball bush

mahoneybunny
16 years ago

Hi all.We moved into a house built in 1830.There is a snowball bush that was planted in our front yard the day the house was finished.This bush is huge!!It is about 9 feet tall and about 6 feet around.My problem is this...I think it needs to be pruned but I dont know how to do it.The right side of the bush is full but the left is very thin.I have already trimmed all the dead branches and the "other" tree that was growing out of the middle of it.Right now the bush is FULL of blooms and the branches are hanging down to the ground.What can I do to help this bush...We love it sooo much and people actually stop in front of our house to look at it.Where do you prune this type of bush and when?Thanks for ANY help!

Comments (4)

• ginny12
    16 years ago

Keep it watered and fertilize it with 5-10-10. Maybe lay an inch or two of compost over the roots to give it some fresh soil. Make sure it has enough sun. Prune the dead out every year. And you could also post your question on the Shrubs forum where there will be lots of people who grow viburnums.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know the snowball was planted the day the house was finished? An intriguing story.

• mahoneybunny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thx for the help...First( concerning how I know about the bush)the man who sold us the house is a decendent of the family who built it...(he made us promise not to cut it down)second, the man who had the house built,founded the town i live in and there are quite a few published booklets that we obtained from the historical society.(in one of them, there is a list of his assets...it talks about his wife's "heirloom "plants and bushes)There are pics of his son in 1880's standing in front of the "bush" that we have.Thanks so much for your help and I'll check out the shrubs forum.

• ginny12
    16 years ago

What an interesting story. It's really wonderful that you're preserving this old heirloom shrub. I live north of Boston and I see snowballs in old gardens when I go on garden tours and visit historic houses. It was certainly a popular plant in the 19c.

• barbiemb
    16 years ago

Very interesting story. I would love to see a photo of this bush.

I bought this plant from a big box hardware store. I can't decide where to put it. There was no information with the plant. I have had it for a couple of months and it has grown like crazy in the pot. I need to set it out. Thought about up near the house, but it sounds like it can get pretty big. Someone please help!

I live in SC

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus