Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_southerncal

Montreal Melon - Has anyone tasted/grown it?

bill_southerncal
18 years ago

Has anyone ever grown or tasted this supposedly yummy melon? This is a fascinating story about how a melon was at the top of the heap popularity wise, then almost disappeared. Recently, it has made a comeback. Last year, I bought seeds but it succumbed to cucumber mosaic virus. This year, I am trying again, except it may not get hot enough where I am. We get 82 deg. highs in August, 60 low - okay for earlier varieties but can't compare to the heat of Montreal in the summer. Still, it's worth a try though I'm sure it won't get 15 lbs.

http://www.vehiculepress.com/montreal/urban_melon.html

Comments (5)

• reign
    18 years ago

Good luck with it! I hope to see nice pictures and comments on it at the end of the season :)

I traded for those seeds. As of this morning they still haven't arrived. So...maybe next year. I've grown the other "Montreal Melon", Oka, for the last 4 seasons.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

If you go to the search feature at the bottom of this first page and enter Montreal Melon you'll find several previous threads about it which may be of interest to you.

Carolyn

• lagangdemontreal
    18 years ago

I bought some "Montreal Melon" seeds from Windmill Point Farm in Ile Perrot, Quebec this winter. I'm from Montreal and used to live in NDG for many years where they used to be grown. Am going to give it a go this summer here in Colorado Springs just for fun, and to bring a little bit of Montreal to Colorado. Presently on the hunt for well-rotted horse manure to dig into the ground under them--recommended for sucessfully growing these.
    I'll let you all now how it went :)

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

I also obtained seed from Windmill Point several years ago. They grew well for me in Wisconsin with no special care, and set large green-fleshed melons. It was a stretch for them to ripen, only half made it.

They were tasty, and I wanted to save seed. Unfortunately, that was the same year a _professional vendor_ (!!!) sold me a "long cucumber" that turned out to be "Armenian cucumber", which contaminated my Montreal. When I tried to obtain fresh seed, Windmill Point said they could no longer ship to U.S.

If your crop does well, Lagang, I hope to exchange seed for some.

• reign
    17 years ago

I'm giving them a go this season too.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living