Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njmastergardener

heirloom tomato's

njmastergardener
16 years ago

I have heirloom tomato plants that need homes. email me at njmastergardener@yahoo.com

Comments (5)

• smonky
    16 years ago

I sent you an email.

• grb1
    16 years ago

I have some heirloom tomato seeds. I tried starting one seed just for fun but it never sprouted. It's been 10 days now and still nothing. I started hybrid tomato seeds before and never had any problem. I don't know if I did something wrong or if heirlooms are trickier to start.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

• oath5
    16 years ago

I'm not sure how long tomato seeds need or even need a period of stratification, though I'm not sure. I think some heirlooms would be harder than others.

• grb1
    16 years ago

oath5,

Thanks for your response. The little guy just sprouted yesterday. It took 10 days. Now I know it's only January but I'll see how it grows in the house by the south window.

grb1

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

I have some heirloom tomato seeds. I tried starting one seed just for fun but it never sprouted. It's been 10 days now and still nothing. I started hybrid tomato seeds before and never had any problem. I don't know if I did something wrong or if heirlooms are trickier to start.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I highly suggest that in the future you ask such questions in the tomato Forum, link at the top of this first page, b'c there are many more folks there than here.

A tomato seed is a tomato seed and it makes no difference whatsoever in terms of germination as to whether it's F1 hybrid seed or OP ( open pollinated) seed/

But sowing just one seed is not a good way to go, IMO/

You don't know the seed age, I assume and therefore the results of sowing just one seed are not going to give you an indication of seed viability/

The age of the seed is one of the most important considerations and the conditions under which the seeds was stored, as well as the artificial mix that you use, whether you use bottom heat, and on and on.

Fresh 2007 seed should germinate in less than a week. I don't see 10 days as being a problem and don't get worried until a couple of weeks have passed. But again, I would not rely on the results of just one seed sowed.

No stratification or anything else is needed. Just plant your seeds as you always have in the past.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn