Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gypsylady_gw

banana melons

gypsylady
19 years ago

I have banana melons growing. Does anyone know what they taste like? Do they grow like zukini? I am growing in blocks this year. I hope I didnt space them too close.

Maria

Comments (4)

• bigtomatotaste
    19 years ago

they grow like cantaloupes

• bill_southerncal
    19 years ago

I grew them once. They tasted like your average cantaloupe, I personally don't know why some catalogs say they have the taste of a banana. The problem was, the weather was inconsistent so a few of them weren't as sweet as the others. Our summer highs can be as low as 68 if there are clouds to a high of 100+(then they get sweet) since I am 5 miles from the coast. Growth habit was 6-7 feet of vine, like your typical melon. They got pretty big, each one about 5 lbs or more. Mine didn't have much aroma but it was nice once you opened it. I like it because people wouldn't think of stealing it like other melons - it looks too much like a banana squash from a distance.

• Hans_NY
    19 years ago

I grew them years ago and found them to have a slight banana taste. They do grow like cantaloupes.

• carolyn137
    19 years ago

Banana melons are not supposed to taste like a banana. They were so named b/c they look like a large banana.

There's a good picture of them online at Amy Goldman's website. Amy has written a good book on heirloom melons. And you'll see my name on the thanks page but not b/c I dontaed seed or grew any of them; it was more research oriented. My passion is heirloom tomatoes, not melons.

Actually I got a delivery from Amy yesterday of 10 exquisite heirloom melons.

Banana was not one of them. LOL

Carolyn