Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
just89148

Setting Flowers for Tomatoes

just89148
18 years ago

I can not get the tomatoe plants to produce fruit. I have sprayed the flowers with a tomatoe set but it is not working. Is there anything else that I can due. Is there a certain set spray that works really good? Please let me know. The plants are about 4 - 4'6" in height and I have only one tomatoe.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Comments (3)

• jimster
    18 years ago

Is it hot and dry (above 95 degrees F) in Las Vegas? If so, that is most likely the reason tomatoes are not setting fruit.

Jim

• just89148
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So there is really nothing else that I can do? If I mist the plants will that help?

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

The Blossom Set spray you're using was designed to be used in cool weather areas b'c it bypasses pollination when temps are too COOL for pollination.

Jim is no doubt spot on with the high temps found in Las Vegas right now. Blossoms won't pollinate when temps are much over about 90-95 nor when night temps are above 70.

Misting the blossoms isn't going to help b/c that causes pollen clumping in addition to the heat problem.\ The only other deterrent to pollination other than what's been mentioned here is growing in too rich soil or overfertilizing; both can inhibit both blossom formation AND fruit set. But I would think that your main problem is high temps.

I also wanted to point out for future reference that at the top of this page there is a link to the main Tomato Forum where problems like this are discussed.

In addition, there's a FAQ at the top of that forum all about blossom drop ( lack of pollination).

Carolyn

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!