Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peapod_23

Heirloom Tomato seedlings not doing so well

peapod_23
14 years ago

Hi, this is my first post here. It is also the first time I have attempted to grow any Heirloom vegetables. I started some tomatoes from seed this spring and they where doing great. After I transplanted them outdoors we had a pretty bad hail storm which did some damage. Since then my little tomatoes have not grown much and I'm concerned that at this rate I may not get any fruit from my plants. The weather here has been on the chilly/wet side but seems to be turning the corner. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to promote the growth of these tomatoes, and if its to late to start more seedlings as a back up plan. Is it a good idea to dig them up and pot them? I'm a bit disappointed , I was looking forward to the beautiful tomatoes. Any help is appreciated. Thank you,

Connie.

Comments (3)

• jimster
    14 years ago

It's unfortunate about the hail and the chilly/wet weather. I would not pot them. I think they are better off in the ground. Give them a fertilizer tonic and keep them watered.

As for a back up plan, slips from tomatoes root easily.

Jim

• anneeoaklee
    14 years ago

I too, have planted heirloom tomato seeds for the first time this year, in central TX. I am not having any luck either. I was going to start them for "fall" tomatoes but the seeds are not coming up. I planted them as per the instructions, not in direct sun, in a warm place and keeping the soil "moist". I have now brought my pots inside in the AC which will keep them about 75/80 degrees. I am hoping this will help. Any other ideas? Please help.

• gardenmom2
    14 years ago

Hi. I too planted heirloom toms this year for the first time. I went and bought a couple b/c my plants looked so bad after a few cold nights and so much rain. I decided to plunk them in the ground but they really did look about dead to me. The greened up a little but did not grow. I gave them a fish emulsion feed and they perked up as soon as we had some sun. Now they are going nuts an dbigger than my store bought tom's. They are full of blooms and fruit and I could not be happier. So, I would say give them a good dose of fish emulsion and then another next week. I think if your weather is warming up and sunning up you will do fine. Don't give up. The one thing I learned was that heirloom tom's are sturdier and harder to kill than hybrid plants. :) GoodLuck !!

Nichol