Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron_and_patty

What are the best 'Southern' heirloom veggies?

Ron_and_Patty
18 years ago

Hi all,

We mostly haunt the Tomato Forum (since we love heirloom tomatoes), but I thought this would be a better place to ask about "other" heirlom veggies.

So to you growers in the south-eastern states, what are your absolute favorite old-timey (or unusual) varieties that grow well in our climate? We are trying lots of new things this year, and just ordered a book called "Taylor's Guide to Heirloom Vegetables" which we hope is a good starting point. But tips from your experience will be the most helpful.

Thanks,

Ron and Patty

Comments (6)

• athagan
    18 years ago

Clemson Spineless okra
    Pinkeye Purplehull field peas
    Florida Speckled pole butterbeans
    Black Beauty eggplant
    Seminole pumpkin
    Green Striped cushaw
    Truckers Favorite dent corn
    Hickory King dent corn

There's more, but they don't come to mind at the moment.

.....Alan.

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

The "Taylor's Guide...." is a pretty good book. Ben Watson did a fine job. But keep in mind that it is a bit dated, and there were some inaccuracies even when it was first published. Even so, it's not a bad begginer's primer.

It's always hard to list "best" anything, because everyone has different interests and tastes. But here are a few that you might find of interest:

Beans: My all time favorite is Tobacco Worm, which is the standard against which I judge all pole beans. I also like the group collectively known as "six week beans" because they make good follow-up crops. My favorite among them is Bailey's Six Week bean, a commercial version of which is sold as "Red Peanut."

Turnips: I really like the Amber Globe, which is a very old variety that's said to be the closest to the 18th century Dutch Yellow.

Summer Squash: Yellow Crookneck is my choice, here. It's much tastier than any of the straightnecks, and is historically important because it is pre-Columbian.

Cowpeas: The original Whippoorwill can't be beat.

Butterbean: Snow On The Mountain, an old butterbean dated to the 1880s.

Okra: I have two I particularly like; Betty's White, an heirloom from North Carolina; and Jimmy T, an heirloom from Kentucky. Both seem to do well throughout the south.

Cucumbers: Little White is a favorite for historical reasons, but not for taste. It's one that Jefferson grew. For taste and overall usefullness, I like Straight 8.

I don't know how much longer to go with this, as you didn't specify what types of veggies you might be interested in. If you're interested in regional heirlooms, I would also suggest you join AHSC (the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy), which is directly involved with preserving the edible heritage of the mountain south. We have members in Georgia who might have a better fix on heirlooms of your state. For details, contact AHSC at KentuckySeeds@hotmail.com.

• Ron_and_Patty
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks guys,

Yes, I see now that my inquiry was a little open-ended. Since our property is small and we are growing primarily for local farmers markets, we concentrate on high density, high value crops like tomatoes, lettuce, snow and snap peas, garlic, cucumbers and summer squash. You gave us a good start, and I'd like to get a copy of your newsletter (e-mail coming).

Is there garlic "seed" (meaning bulbs) in your Living Seed Bank?

Thanks again,
    Ron (and Patty)

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

There are no curators, as such, for garlic, Ron. But many of our members do grow garlic, multiplying onions, etc. on an on-going basis.

Indeed, Tom Greenwood, who's an authority on multiplying onions, will be giving a presentation about them at our fall conference in October.

So I'm sure you'll find plenty of trading opportunities if you decide to join us.

Meanwhile, if you're interested in garlic, come on over to the Alliums forum, here at GW. That's where the garlicheads mostly hang out.

• jimster
    18 years ago

I'm in the Northeast, not the Southeast, but I have developed an interest in Southern veggies. I have planted Cow Horn okra, whipoorwill peas, pink eye purple hull peas and Jackson Wonder butterbeans.

I have a question about the Jackson Wonders. I planted them in a row as bush beans. I hope that is right. They aren't pole beans like Florida Speckles are they?

Jim

• athagan
    18 years ago

Yes, the Jackson Wonders are bush limas. Haven't grown them in a long time since I've come to prefer the Florida Speckled.

.....Alan.