Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chevere33_gw

seeds to take to Ukraine?

chevere33
18 years ago

Being a gardener, I want to take some seeds over to the Ukraine when I go this fall. I'd like to take something that would be considered unique and will really bless someone.

Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Being a gardener, I want to take some seeds over to the Ukraine when I go this fall. I'd like to take something that would be considered unique and will really bless someone.

The Ukraine is a very rich area for the growing and appreciation of heirloom varieties and they also now have a very active agricultural program for breeding and disseminating hybrids as well.

Do you know where you'll be going and if it's a rural or urban area and would it be possible to contact the folks there and ask what they might want?

Carolyn

• carolync1
    18 years ago

One possibility might be the old American heirloom bush bean Black Valentine, which is good at the snap, shelled and dry stages and has some distinctive qualities. Some of the regional heirloom pole beans might be fascinating, particularly if you could provide translations for the colorful names. Some of the names of heirloom corn varieties are also memorable.

Wautoma, an open-pollinated pickling cucumber (but not an heirloom) might be appreciated for its disease-resistance, bitter-free flavor and growth characteristics.

Maybe someone could recommend a good okra variety for the Ukraine.

There are some distinctive American and Mexican peppers which might be interesting to people in the Ukraine, too. For example, the relatively mild, fruity flavor of an Ancho chile is probably different from peppers typically grown in the Ukraine. Chile Manzano might also be interesting. Chile California, used dried as the base for various stews, etc. might be interesting to folks in the Ukraine who are starting to get an idea what Mexican cuisine is like. Some of the big American bell peppers might be interesting, too.

Just some ideas to get people thinking.

• jimster
    18 years ago

Here are some links which might be useful.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Ukraine Garden Expos

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA