Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryjane43

too many morning glories!

maryjane43
15 years ago

My Grandpa Ott's morning glories have reseeded nicely for years, but suddenly have become invasive! They are everywhere! The seedlings are easy to pull out. However, some seem to have perennialized, and these vines are actually choking out other plants! They are inferior too - small leaves and very light, washed-out flowers.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I do love them...

Comment (1)

• jackbenny
    15 years ago

What do you wish to prevent? I assume both the unwanted reseeding and the inferior offspring. I realize that it sounds labor intensive, but to prevent the presumed perennializing you must deadhead your spent blossoms in order to keep the plants from dropping every seed that they wish. And to halt and prevent the degradation of your strain you must selectively choose seeds from plants with characteristics of the original that you wish to preserve. Just because a plant is an heirloom and "breeds true" doesn't mean that it won't degrade left to its own devices.
    Yank out everything except for the strongest, and collect the seed from the best of those. Also, if you if there are other morning glories in the area they can potentially taint the original strain.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus