Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ben_950

Unidentified Tomato

ben_950
18 years ago

I posted this in the Tomato forum, but thought it might fall under helpful eyes here too.

A couple years ago a family friend gave my Dad some seeds she had saved for what she described as an heirloom sauce tomato, originally developed in Italy. This is our second year growing the variety, and can't say enough good things about it. The fruit is oblong, pointy on one end, and can get over six inches long. They're 90% solid flesh with tiny little vein of seeds running down one side, making it great for sauces and salsa. The flavor is realy nice too.

We're just curious what the real name is, and about history behind the variety, since our family friend got her seeds from someone else who got their's from someone else, and so on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Ben,

YOu already have several answers in your other identical thread in the Tomato Forum and I've answered you there as well.

In general the same folks who post in the tomato forum post here as well.

Carolyn

• ben_950
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you.

• MrsJustice
    18 years ago

I have about 200 or more unidentified tomatoes growing all over my yard, with out planting this year.

While i was rebuilding my house from Isabel, i was only able to grow five tomatoes plants beside my house last year. Now i have tomatoes growing everywhere.

Can someone tell me why?

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert