Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wasabisworld

New to heirloom

WASABISWORLD
18 years ago

Greetings! This is my first posting here in Garden web..so excuse me if I do more than post question.
This year was my first year to try any herritage seeds. Tried a few, Lacota squash, lemon cukes, brandywine tomatoes, and yellow pear tomaotes...also was first year to try and go all from seed! OH MY....
We put up a non-permanent warm(ha) house( we rent so it had to be able to deconstruct it easily) and found it not adequite for early starts.lost my first round of seedlings...
Began second round and kept them in the house till we had the bugs figured out( enough heat and grow lamps) of the now hot house...waited waited...nada....so I thought okay..obvioulsy...I am not samrter than the seeds yet...so I went to the store and bought some small veggie plants and stuck them in the hot house along with the seeded pots that had yet to show any sign of life.
Time came to work the garden...put in all sorts of early stuff...lettuce, spinach, ect....and ran out like a kid at christmas everyday...the inground veggies started to come up...( did great) the plants stayed alive and soon was planting the bought veggies in the garden....and voila...here comes the seeds....mind you not just the replanted seeds...but everyting that might have not come up the first time either....and continued to come up till about two weeks ago..... and those plants that came up late have jumped to the occassion to match the bought the plant ones.....so I am having a wonderful time this year...caling me the tomaote lady will be an understatement...and my attempting to organic garden wil give me plenty of plant to share with the natural neighbors...( BUGs, vermin..just jokin)
my question is now....( ah yousay finally to the question)
distinguishing one thing from another....yup I replanted seeds over other seeds...most are somewhat obvious....squash type plants...but I got watermelon and cantelope and pumpkin and cukes and gords....hahaaha
tomaotes too...but I have this one type of tomaote that the leaves are very different, looks like sorta mitten with a thumb( but they smell like tomaote plants) I have a whole row of egg plants that I havent a clue from one to the other... none of the seeds followed their discribed germination times...( not to mention my impatience) though they are doing well...any masters out there can give me a few tips( mostly so I know how to ward off bugs and disease?
I am a lucky gardner inthe fact that every thing is doing well so far....gotpeas and beans right now and peppers on hot pepper plants...head lettuce and cabbage beginign to head up( leaf lettuce was extremely abundant, but have pulled it to have more planting space) and corn at the five foot height...eg plants are flowering and so are some of the squash type plants, and I have small green tomaotes..wel just all over the placeLOL.....
the last half flat of plants remaining in the hot house are a mish mash....most obviously some type of pepper plant will go in later after carrots are harvested....
I did all this to try to find things I can grow easly, sowhen I move to my property in the rocky ground of the SW ozark area of missouri....I have a hand up...yeah right....:) not trying to grow things I dont know if I know anything about.... well I have two years at least to get this seed germinating thing under control.....
I also am trying a bit of combined composting and worm farming..my idea workedd very very well....if any one wants my recipie for so far success....let me know...its nothig new....but we got huge night crawlers( and for avid fishing people thats a bonus)...and at night when you go out to the garden and shine a light ...the earth moves( they moved a few of my plants too....but no harm) its amazing.....
I also have a pond and herbs and flowers....so if any one lives in the missouri area contact me...I am in st louis county right now.....would love to meet up...botanical gardens comes to mind.....hugs to all.....peace

Comments (3)

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well you might just have to wait untill everything is grown to identify some...I lost my plan and am unsure about some varieties...sounds like you have a great place...got any pictures to show us...

• WASABISWORLD
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Morning Ruthie!
    Yes mam I do havesome pics. They are in my yahoo photo albums which are contained in my web page by a link near the bottom of the page. ( I use a web tv so I cannot load pics to here without the helpof a REAL computer)
    NOW there are like nine albums...and many pics of all my flora about here, probably best found in the cd albums.
    I will add the url to this email, thoug it is in my page info.
    BUT I think your right...Iwill have to wait..and its okay
    Also in my photos are pics of my work( I am a baker) as well as pics of the property I will be working on over the next few years...a past rental house..pets you name it...soif youd prefer I can email some pics directly to you, if youso choose....
    TY for your reply

Here is a link that might be useful: WASABISWORLD

• MrsJustice
    18 years ago

I also am trying a bit of combined composting and worm farming..my idea workedd very very well....if any one wants my recipie for so far success....let me know...its nothig new....but we got huge night crawlers( and for avid fishing people thats a bonus)...and at night when you go out to the garden and shine a light ...the earth moves( they moved a few of my plants too....but no harm) its amazing.....

Please give me the recipie for combined composting?

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living