Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seansf

whats wrong with my tomato plant?

seansf
19 years ago

I have two heirlooms (Hillbilly & st. pierre) growing in an Earthbox on my roof. For a while, both looked great. In the last week, the Hillbilly's leaves have started to yellow and are sagging a little, the plants seems to have stopped growing, and I've noticed strange wort-like bumps on the stem. On the other hand, the St. Pierre is looking great - it keeps getting bigger and bigger and there are several flowers. I am a first time grower so I have absolutely no idea what this could be. I would have thought a disease would effect both plants given their proximity. It has been windy lately, could this be the problem? Please help save my Hillbilly.

Comments (3)

• Mary_in_pnw
    19 years ago

If you go to the tomato forum, scroll down, and click on the link to tomato pests and diseases, you will find some folks who can help you. You would think that the heirloom tomato discussions would be here, but it's always on the tomato forum. Most people there discuss and grow heirlooms, including me. I've been very lucky in avoiding disease problems, so not sure what is going on for your plant. Do check there. Best wishes.

Mary

• motherduck
    19 years ago

Is the Hillbilly in a large enough container? Usually if they become 'potbound' they slow in growth and the leaves turn yellow starting at the bottom. The yellow leaves eventually fall off. When you transplanted it did you spread the roots out a bit so they grow better? The bumps on the stem are probably new roots trying to sprout.

• Julesagain
    19 years ago

I don't know if you went over to Tomatoes, but that is an excellent source of info. If you have room in your pot, you can add some more dirt to the top, and those bumps might turn into roots. You could also try a fungicide combo that Safer makes, I can't remmeber the name of it but it is available at garden supply and Home Depot type stores, and it comes in an aqua bottle in spray or concentrate formulas. It worked like a charm for me when some of my tomatoes got the yellows, and it also works OK for white flies.
    Also make sure you aren't over-watering, its easy to do in a pot. A good dousing once a week or so unless it looks wilty oughta do it.
    As well as checking out the diseases and pests on the Tomato Forum, also check out the growing tips, there's some good info in there too. And we're pretty friendly over there!
    Julesagain

Here is a link that might be useful: Watering tips