Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluepelt

Red Antwerp Raspberries & Lawton Blackberries

bluepelt
17 years ago

I have been reading a book I borrowed from the library, "Ten Acres Enough", and it praises these berries.

The book was written in the 1800's, so I guess that qualifies them as heirlooms.

I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of them or suggestions for sources should I want to aquire some.

Thanks.

Comments (3)

• feldon30
    17 years ago

Finding a fair amount of information about Red Antwerp Raspberries but not about how to get them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loganberry
    The loganberry is generally thought to be derived from a cross between the Red Antwerp raspberry and the American blackberry Aughinburgh. It was accidentally created in 1880 or 1881 in Santa Cruz, California by the American lawyer and horticulturist James Harvey Logan (1841-1928).

Something tells me this is a lost variety because every reference to it is from the 1880's.

Lawton Blackberries are commercially available. I'm sure a Google search will yield a place you can order cuttings from.

• botanybabe
    17 years ago

I grow Lawton blackberries, and they are divine.

Lainey

• feldon30
    17 years ago

I miss living in PA. Black Raspberries (not blackberries) would probably die or produce bitter berries here. We had a wild patch up there. Mmmmmmmmm!!!