Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackman_gw

Squash

jackman
18 years ago

About 10 years ago a seed company in my town threw out bags of seeds.I got alot of them and put them in the freezer.The seeds are mixed,so you don't know what you are planting.This year I have a new squash(to me)it is round,6" across,and 3" thick.It is dark green and could be called black.Anyone out there know the kind of squash I have.

Comments (20)

• douglas14
    18 years ago

jackman,
    Does it have ribbing? If so, it may be Black Futsu. I'm growing it for the first time this year, but my plants aren't at the fruiting stage yet.

Douglas

• jackman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Douglas
    Yes it has ribbing,but not as pronounced as patty pan.

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

Might possibly be a table Queen Acorn Squash...

here is one picture of the one I mention...

Here is a link that might be useful: Table Queen

• jackman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It is flatter than the Acorn,and darker that the one in the picture.

• carolync1
    18 years ago

It could also be a Kabocha type. There are several which are about the size you describe and flattened in shape. If it has a "button" on the bottom it could be a buttercup, too.

• carolync1
    18 years ago

Does it resemble this one? A hybrid. There may be some similar C. moschata or C. maxima varieties out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potkin squash

• jackman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolyn,te not that prohe squash picture is not it.It is to thick and the groves are not that pronounced.I can't find the name anywhere on the net.I guess it will have stay no name?
    Thanks everyone

• jimster
    18 years ago

I like Douglas' suggestion, Black Futsu.

Jim

• jackman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The stem end is smaller than the flower end.The flower end tapers to a smaller stem end.The part of the squash that is on the ground is yellow.What ever it is, very tasty.

• carolync1
    18 years ago

Hmmm..... Smaller stem end. Is this closer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mini-green hubbard

• jackman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry Carolyn,that's not it either.Your squash has a raised stem end.This one does not.

• douglas14
    18 years ago

You can go to abundantlifeseeds.com, and find Black Futsu. If you click on the word Black Futsu, a picture will come up. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link.
    Is the stem of the squash quit thin? This would be a trait of Black Futsu.

Douglas

• jackman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

On henryfields.com the squash is shaped like the Sunburst hybrid.The one I got is much bigger and dark green.Maybe
    that will help someone help me.

• carolync1
    18 years ago

Does it look like this one? Scallopini is typically used as a summer squash, but it or some of its relatives may be used as winter squash. One of the yellow pattypans is used for winter squash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scallopini

• jackman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alright!!!!! Carolyn that is the one.Now I can find out the best way to cook it.I have been frying it with onions and garlic.Taste is quite good.
    Thanks to everyone for their participation.
    Also will know when to harvest the beauty.

• jackman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found out that it is a cross patty panlzucchini.Was a All-American winner in 1977.

• douglas14
    18 years ago

Oh, it's a summer squash!

Jim,
    Thanks for posting th pic. I diidn't see you post, when I posted last time. I guess I needed to hit refresh.

Douglas

• carolync1
    18 years ago

Maybe next year you can get a Sunburst plant and mix Sunburst and Scallopini. I picked my first Scallopini of the year today, about 4 inches across. I prefer them smaller than that, but this one hid.

• jackman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Carolyn,how do you prepare them?I fried them with onions and garlic.

• carolync1
    18 years ago

If they're tiny, I just steam them and add butter, salt and pepper. They can be quartered if you like. When they're a little bigger, I partially fry them with onions, then maybe add a tomato and steam them until tender. You can top with parmesan cheese or crumbled bacon if you like. If they're big enough that the seeds have gotten a little tough, I think they could be hollowed out, stuffed and baked.

Frying with onions and garlic is fine, too. Or start some sliced carrots and onions frying in a little butter or olive oil, add squash and broccoli, a couple tablespoons of water, salt and pepper and steam until tender. Watch the pan. The goal is to end up with the liquid evaporated.