Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lucky Kolkwitzia amabilis / Beauty Bush Find

Posted by cgarnier z 5a (NB, CAN) (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 03 at 17:11

Had to share a lucky find....
We bought a house in Dec. with little to no existing gardens... BUT there was this big 'ugly' bush in the back yard hillside. As it turns out it's a Kolkwitzia amabilis / Beauty bush which,while unremarkable during most of the year, can be spectacular in bloom. This one is about 20 years old! The former owners kept it sheared like a trimmed pillar cedar... so it's probably not been identified as a flowering shrub... but it won't be trimmed this year let me tell you!!

Below are urls to pics... (Not of MY bush but others found on the net.)

http://www.timestocome.com/personal/garden/may29-2002-016.jpg
http://www.marysplantfarm.com/_photos/shrubs/kolkwitzia2.jpg

Gotta love a good find!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lucky Kolkwitzia amabilis / Beauty Bush Find

• Posted by cambse 7b Western WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 03 at 18:40

Congratulation, What a great feeling! Instead of something ugly, you'll have a graceful arching beauty. I have three of these and I think they're pretty in winter also with their strong branching patterns. Wonder why on earth they would prune it like that? Kolkwitzia amabilis's strong point is it's form and flowers. Have fun with your (almost) blank canvas.

Happy gardening,
Carole

o

I just got one of these!!!!

o

• Posted by sam6 z6Ok (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 12, 04 at 11:58

Does this beauty Bush have violet colored berries in the fall? I got a plant from my son in Missouri, that they call a Quail Bush, that I think is the same .
sam6

o

Sam6, it looks like they are different plants. As the title says Beauty Bush is Kolkwitzia amabilis. There is also an American Beauty Bush, Callicarpa americana. But Quail Bush is Atriplex lentiformis. All seem completely different.

o

I fell in love with these after seeing them featured on a PBS show. I bought two of them (at least the guy at the garden center SAID they were), and I planted them two years ago. They have grown some, but are still fairly small and have yet to flower. Do they take a few years to bloom? Also, the leaves on mine are tiny...about half an inch long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heirloom Plants & Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here