Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wonkasaurusroo

Is it possible to germinate 20 year old pepper seeds?

wonkasaurusroo
10 years ago

I come from a long line of avid gardeners, but am a complete novice myself. This is the first year I've tried a garden. So far it's going well!

I recently found a bag of pepper seeds tucked in the bottom of my great-grandmother's jewelry box. I remember watching her carefully tend her garden when I was a child, and would love it if I could manage to get one of the seeds to grow. There are quite a few, so I could take a few shots at it.

My question is, would it be possible to resurrect these seeds? If so, how would I start? What time of year would be best?

Temperatures here don't range far past 45-85 degrees at the outside between the seasons. I have floor to ceiling windows to the south and west, and a teeny little balcony garden.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments (7)

• kayjones
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You won't know until you try!

• ixel
    10 years ago

it's definitely possible! I don't know much about the specifics of how to do it, but I've heard more than one story of people successfully "resurrecting" long lost cultivars from old seeds - often much older than yours!

good luck!

• Ktkets
    10 years ago

You could try the "paper towel" germinaton method to see if a few will grow?

• Artemis
    10 years ago

The seeds found in ancient tombs have been germinated. Totally possible. You may want to soak some of the seeds first for a day, then plant them. Keep the soil warm and watered. Good luck!

This post was edited by alouyakis on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 15:56

• Brandon Smith
    10 years ago

When I was in the 5th grade my science fair project was about this very topic, "can you grow old seeds, the germination race"?

My teacher had bean seeds that were over 20 years old that were kept in their bags, in a stable conditioned environment.

In the end the old seeds grew just as well as ones I got brand new from the store.

So as long as they were kept well, you should be good to go! GL

• shane11
    10 years ago

Yes it is possible. I knew a lady that found a pack of heirloom white eggplant seed in her freezer that was 20 plus years old and they germinated MUCH better than the packet of seed she had ordered from Parks that same year. This was in the 80's ands I never will forget this as I was working part time for her in her greenhouse/nursery business at the time.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida