Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistercross

Whatever happened to Shumway's Giant Muskmelon?

mistercross
16 years ago

I found an old packet of Shumway's Giant Muskmelon that mice had eaten. I considered replacing them, but they weren't listed in the 2007 catalog (or a 2006 catalog).

I found an old 2001 catalog where they were listed up front in the color section, rather than on the melon pages.

Anyone know why they quit listing them, or if they are ever coming back?

Comments (5)

• farmerdilla
    16 years ago

The original Shumways's Giant was a special selection of Tip Top. Shumway folded in the early 80's, was bought out and relocated to South carolina. The new ownership tried to reestablish some of the old Shumway cultivars like the Abe Lincoln and snow ball tomatoes and Shumway's Giant cantaloupe. He was not too succesful, I tried the new Snowball and the new Shumways' Giant. neither was the same cultivar that I grew in 40's, 50's and 60's. With the subsequent buy out by Jung, the older cultivars are losing emphasis again. The only hope is that there ia seed saver out there somewhere who is still growing it.

• mistercross
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, farmer. Maybe next year I'll try Tip Top, which I see is available from Baker Creek.

• dr_tomato
    14 years ago

I just bought some seeds for these on eBay but I can't find no information on them nowhere.

• farmerdilla
    14 years ago

If it is version of the Old Shumways Giant, it will be a large wheel shaped melon. I have grown them in excess of twenty pounds. The last one Shumway sold as the Giant for a large oval melon similar to Fields Daisy. It will go to about 15 lbs.

• dr_tomato
    14 years ago

Thanks for the information.These are suppose to be from seed he bought years ago.and he said they came from a 29 pound muskmelon. I guess I'll see.