Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaylowe_gw

Why are my carrot tops falling over?

JayLowe
11 years ago

Hello everyone! This is my first post, first real garden, and also an introduction. I hope I can get some answers on a few things.

First off my name is Joshua. I live in central Maryland and due to many circumstances I have decided to begin organic gardening to provide fresh healthy food for my family. I have a garden plot about 25' by 15'. Inside I have a decent selection of items. A row of cabbage, 3 rows of corn, 1 row of watermelon, cantaloupe, and pie pumpkins. 1 row of yellow squash, 1 zucchini, 1 row of okra, a couple broccoli plants, a couple cauliflower plants, a row of various lettuces, head, leaf, and spicy. A row of bush beans, a row of peas, and finally a row of carrots.

Man that's a lot to type in :). So far so good this year however I have noticed my carrots which are about 40-50 days old have begun to fall over a bit. They are still green and healthy but are just starting to lop over. They are baby finger carrots and they are planted in small bunches about 5-6 carrot every 6 inches in a row. They ones on the outside of the bunches seem to be the ones falling over.

I pulled up one the other night and it was only maybe an inch long and not mature at all as it was still white with just a hint of orange in the middle where the soil line is.

I am just wondering if maybe they are just a little top heavy or what? Has anyone else seen this before? Maybe I am just being a worry wort.

I included a pic I took of my plot so you guys can get a mental image of what I am working with.

This was taken about a week ago. It doesn't look like garden-topia quite yet but its going pretty good just a few small hiccups here and there.

I can admit I have fallen in love with gardening.

Here's to many great harvests for everyone!

Cheers!

Comments (2)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Try the Vegetable Forum

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/cornucop/

Here is a link that might be useful: veg forum

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

water, mulch to keep moisture in
    thin them if planted too closely
    easy mulch is made with dried grass clippings with no herbicides used on lawn

I wish you a great 1st growing season and good eating for your family. Home grown is best!

Corrine