Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaylowe_gw

My garden peas are already flowering.

JayLowe
11 years ago

Hey everyone it is me again. (obviously)

I just posted an intro and question and wanted to start a thread regarding one more quick question I had.

Well it's simple really. I have a small row of garden peas, and the oldest and tallest one has begun to flower and even has an inch and half pea pod on it. It only stand about 8-9 inches tall and has only sprouted two flowers one of which has a pod and one that is beginning to produce one.

I am just wondering what the deal is really. These are Burpeena Early which are supposed to get 18-24" before they begin to produce.

I admit when I was young I always wanted to be older and it seems my peas are just like papa. Lol.

What opinions do you guys have?

Comments (2)

• emmers_m
    11 years ago

Hi, Jay,

Nice to 'meet' you!

You might get more responses to your questions if you post in the 'Vegetables' forum - it's a little busier over there :) You can find the (enormous) list of other forums by clicking on Forums in the dark green menu bar at the top of the page. I've also linked the veggie forum for you below.

I'm also a beginner- just a few years now - but the issue with your peas is likely the season. Peas are supposed to be planted in the early spring and harvested and done before hot weather hits. I just cut all of mine down before the heat wave we just had so they wouldn't compete with the beans I'd planted in the same spot. (This isn't my ideal succession planting, but I'm still working on garden renovations so I didn't have all my beds available.)

I'm sure your peas will give it a go, but the summer weather isn't their cup of tea :)

I'll be trying to plant some more peas for a fall crop, though I've heard this can be tricky. Here's a nice pdf I found with planting dates for Central Maryland - it seems like you can try planting again in late July/early August.

Planting Dates

Best of luck,

~emmers

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggie forum

• JayLowe
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate your response so much Emmers!

Yeah I am leaving it to the summer heat. I have been doing more research and have come to realize the improper planting time.

Also thank you so much for the link I think what I will do with my plot once I harvest the rest of my goodies I will do about 2/3 of it with wheat and grain and 1/3 filled with peas, cauliflower, and broccoli since they all do well in the cooler months.

Thanks again Emmers, hope to talk more with ya around here on the forums!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?