Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chivalryd

Family Heirloom Tomato

ChivalryD
12 years ago

I first heard of heirloom plants about 15 years ago when my mom brought home a book, 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden by Carolyn Male. Carolyn had sent a copy to my grandfather, who has been growing what he always called "Polish tomatoes" for ... well, ever. Apparently he gave some seed to a coworker, and they ended up at SSE at some point (I don't know where all the connections are). He didn't have any kids (my mom is his stepdaughter) but now that he's gone it makes me happy that Soldacki tomatoes will carry his name and his family's legacy to heirloom gardeners, and of course now that I've started gardening, they'll always have a place in my garden.

Apparently he learned his organic gardening methods (he was a real pioneer there) from his grandmother, who gave him the seeds they brought over from Krakow, Poland to Cleveland, Ohio in the 1920s. Soldackis are really huge, pink, potato leaf beefsteaks with an excellent flavor, incomparable on a hamburger in my opinion. Last year he was in the hospital after breaking his hip (he fell trying to get his tomatoes in the ground... he was certainly dedicated!), and it was my first year vegetable gardening. I made a pilgrimage to the guru to learn first hand and talk shop with him. His sage advice was "Sure, try it," and "Get a book!" I still laugh when I think about it.

I'd love to hear from anybody who's grown Soldacki tomatoes and I'd also like to suggest you try them if you haven't (SSE has them).

Comments (2)

• sjs867
    12 years ago

What a great story! I just ordered a copy of that book 3 days ago and I can't wait for it to get here. I have just started to grow heirloom tomatoes this year for food bank donations. I will definitely try the Soldacki tomatoes. Thanks for posting a nice story about them and your grandfather, Suzy

• oath5
    12 years ago

We love beefsteaks over here, we have over 25 tomato plants this year so that's great to keep in mind for the future. Next year I'd love to try something new, and this sounds great! Thanks for telling the story, it's way cool to see something your family was personally involved in being shared around. I'd love to start being a part of a chain like that.

Sounds like a great tomato, bet it's a nice sight to see it every summer, like a longtime friend right?

- Max

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor