Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie321_gw

Noir des Carmes....

julie321
18 years ago

Hi all,

How many fruits should I expect from a Noir des Carmes plant? If my Petit Gris de Rennes gets out of it's growing rut how many should each of those plants produce?

Comments (3)

• douglas14
    18 years ago

Julie,
    I grew both varieties two years ago.
    Noir des Carmes was very productive, and ripened fairly early. Taste was very good. I think I liked them even a little more, eaten warm, soon after picking.
    Petit Gris de Rennes ripened significantly later, and produced a decent number of fruits(I only got about four to ripen before frost). These were outstanding in flavor.
    I hope they do well for you.

Douglas

• julie321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Douglas, thanks for your reply.

Like you, I kind of planted these as an afterthought :) I'm just happy they are growing at all. My neighbors think I'm mad to be growing melons out in the open and not in a greenhouse. Oh well, I hope I can prove them wrong.
    One last question. Does Noir des Carmes have tendrils? The vines aren't very long yet but still they have no tendrils at all, whereas the PGdR are just miniscule in comparison and are already sending out little tendrils.

• julie321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mmm..nevermind my previous post. After tying up the NdC vines they produced tendrils. I only tied them up two days ago...coincidence or just what they wanted? Who knows.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz