Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oklahoma_jen

heirlooms

oklahoma_jen
16 years ago

Recently I have joined my mom in her raised bed gardening adventures. We have planted some heirloom tomatoes that are absolutely delicious. Since then we have made 4 more raised beds and have decided to add as many heirlooms as we can. We are interested in the following vegetables for this fall:Brocoli,cabbage, carrots, collards, leaf lettuce and spinach. Can anyone make suggestions for the tastiest heirloom seeds there are for these? And where we should try to locate them. Thanks!!

Comments (2)

• Macmex
    16 years ago

A carrot comes to mind: Topweight, which is a wonderful, sweet, huge carrot, originally from England. But I don't know where you can get the seed. I have only a tiny amount and need to try to renew it.

Check out the Seed Savers Exchange for some ideas. There are A LOT of good lettuces out there. I'm not well versed on the others. By the way, it is exceedingly easy to save seed from lettuce. So this is a good one to start out on. Just be sure not to grow two varieties closer together than 15'. Seed is only good for about two years. So you have to grow it out every year.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• marlingardener
    16 years ago

Oklahoma Jen,

Try Cooks' Garden www.cooksgarden.com for a lot of heirloom and organic seeds. Also, J.L. Hudson, Seedsman, at www.JLHudsonSeeds.net offer a huge selection of heirlooms. It is nice to see a mother/daughter effort, using tried and true types of plants. Experiment--what works for me in Texas may not for you in Oklahoma. I wish you luck, and lots of luscious vegetables!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz