Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fusion_power

Hami Melon

fusion_power
13 years ago

The Hami melons are very popular in China with several varieties grown and sold in markets. They are almost unknown here in the U.S. I received seed of Hami Jiageda which is a storage melon in a trade earlier this year. Please note that storage melons must be stored in a dry place where they will not freeze for at least 2 months to reach maximum sweetness.

Hami Jiageda is a large football shaped melon with green and white skin, white flesh shading to green near the rind, sweet flavor, and nice aroma. You can find some information on the internet. Here is a slightly re-written version I found about this melon.

"Jiageda is a hard spotted (plaid) melon that was sent by the King of Hami to the Qing Court where it was considered satisfactory for its sweetness and aroma. It is now the most famous and popular of the thirty melon varieties commonly grown with a sugar content between 10 and 18 percent. Like the grapes of Turpan, Hami melons are best sampled fresh from the farm."

I will try to have enough seed to send them to Sandhill Preservation for next spring.

{{gwi:390544}}

DarJones

Comments (3)

• franktank232
    13 years ago

They were selling a Hami variety at the big melon "fest" here in town...along with a bunch of other oddball melons. I wasn't overly impressed (the Galia/Sharlyn were out of this world)... but it could have been that it wasn't ripened properly. It also was yellow... they were all grown in CA at Corture? Farms...

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

Google it and it comes right up.

Couture Farms - maps.google.com
    30650 Quebec Avenue, Kettleman City, CA - (559) 386-9865
    Directions and more »

Couture Farms - maps.google.com
    16858 Huron Avenue, Huron, CA - (559) 945-2226

• melon_grower
    13 years ago

Greenseeds has hami melon.

Sponsored