Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myphi2000

heirloom tomato seeds

myphi2000
18 years ago

I am looking for heirloom tomato seeds for sase.

Comments (9)

• kelley474
    18 years ago

I order just about everything from Natural Gardening Company... they also have seedlings available. I got my seedlings via mail and they are wonderful. And they are very nice and ship really quickly. I would definitely order from them again.

Kelley

Here is a link that might be useful: natural gardening co

• jimster
    18 years ago

I would offer you seeds if I could, but I haven't saved any yet. Sandhill Preservation has MANY heirlooms. Their prices are low and shipping is free on orders of $5.00 or more.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandhill Preservation

• suze9
    18 years ago

I'd like to suggest that it might be best if you respond to offers that folks have already made... A good place to find such offers would be on the exchange section of the Tomato forum. There's one called "have: for sase, six tomatoes, your choice" that appears to still be open.

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato forum - exchanges

• bcday
    18 years ago

I too think it's a good idea to post your request in the Growing Tomatoes forum's Exchanges section, but I would wait until Fall, when lots of varieties will be offered there for trade or SASE. Many growers who will be offering seeds later don't even have their first ripe tomatoes yet. Keep an eye on that forum through Sept.-Nov.

-- BC --

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

I would agree with suze and BC to go thru the Fall listings in the TOmato Seed Exchange area to find those who aren't looking for trades, but will send seeds just for a SASE.

But I also want to mention that when you get seeds from other hobby growers you're taking a chance on getting cross pollinated seeds. That's just a fact of life you have to deal with.

Is the level of X pollination higher with home grown saved seeds than if you bought them commercially from some place like Sandhill which has really low prices and an excellent reputation for seed purity?

Yes, the level is higher.

And if you're someone who has limited space and thus every plant true to variety counts, then you might wish to think of what options you have as to buying seed.

Just my opinion.

Carolyn

• terrybateman2
    18 years ago

I am sesarching for rare tomato seeds,does anyone out there have any spares or know where I can obtain the following tomato seeds:-
    Big Dwarf tomato, Goose Creek tomato, Earl's Faux tomato. I already have a considerable collection of tomatoes varieties and would like to add these to it, I can obtain virtualy any variety of english tomatoes if anyone is interested, one of our best varieties is called (SHIRLEY ) which is utterly reliable under most conditions and soil types,and produces a very heavy bottom truss of up to sixteen tomatoes on it, bright red and up to tennis ball size for some of them but average 4 to 6 ozs each.
    Another strange tomato is called Britains Breakfast, and carries huge trusses of flowers with several hundred flowers per truss in a fan shape,naturaly one has to thin out the truss as the plant could never bear the weight of tomatoes if all set .

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Big Dwarf tomato, Goose Creek tomato, Earl's Faux tomato

Seeds for GooseCreek are not sold, see the thread in the tomato forum right now about that and check back in the Fall in the tomato seed exchange to see if anyone is offering them. Lots of hype so far and I'll wait until folks I know have reported back on performance and taste.

Seeds for Earl's Faux are not available commercially, same advice as above.

If you mean New Big Dwarf and not Big Dwarf, then Victory Seeds online offers it or you might be able to pick it up in the Fall again, at the tomato seed exchange.

Since non-US folks cannot post in that seed exchange just read the threads and e-mail the poster directly without posting yourself.

Carolyn, who thinks you've been reading in the main tomato forum lately to come up with those three varieties. LOL

• WASABISWORLD
    18 years ago

I planted two varieties of heirlooms this year...the small yellow pear and the brandy wine...
    both vines are growing...but are producing few tomatoes...
    in fact the brandy wine..so far I had one tomato and it got nabbed by a critter before it even ripened...
    the pear..so far I have had two ripen from a container plant on my front porch....the ones in my garden are just now putting on fruit...and sparcely...they look realy cute....
    but only four or five fruits on eah plant...
    compared to my other strains..which are loaded an producing a few pints each day......

I am glad that I read the post on the saved seeds doing better than the bought seedds...I will be saving seed this year..I find my volunteer cherry tomatoes have always been awesome producers...so maybe they will do better for me next year....

• diggerdug
    17 years ago

Does anyone have or know were I may purchase some seed to a tomato called 42 day. I believe it is referring to days to its maturity. Just wanted to give it a try. Also if anyone can give any advice on just how it may compare to an early girl or a 4th of July in taste and ease of growing that would be great to.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida