Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klorentz_gw

Garden update!

klorentz
13 years ago

Well everything seems to be doing good. Here is what's happening now.I know it has been a while so forgive me being long winded.

Tomatoes: Black Krim has set it's first fruit.They should be the first to ripen and are growing fast.I doubt they will be perfectly round because at least two are mega blooms. Black from Tula ,Vorlon,Cherokee Purple Mariana's Peace and Rose have set fruit as well and are 5 days to a week behind Black Krim. All the rest should be blooming over the next week or two.Got a late start this year (on everything) so I know I will have tomatoes past September.

Bell Peppers:After a slow start my bell peppers are finally catching up with the rest of the garden. Did not get as many out as I wanted to but what is there (16 plants) are doing good. 8 of these represent an heirloom sent to me last year called Grandpa Stella and is an Italian Bell. Some of the largest plants are showing small flower buds that should be blooming in about a week.

Jalapeno: The only hot pepper to make it to the garden as the others are being slow growing so will be wintered over. These plants are right behind my bells on growth but by the looks of it should bloom soon too.

Cucumbers: The only Hybrid in the garden.And they seem to have just recently decided to go crazy like my AG pumpkins and Kobacha. Counted 13 cucumbers yesterday that should be ready in a week.

Sugar Baby Watermelon: What is it with my vine crops this year? They all seem to want to take over Michigan!!! counted three melons so far.

Pumpkins:AG and Howden have fruit set.Vines continue to grow like crazy. All the rest are at different stages of growth but should be ready for Halloween.

Kobacha Squash: Seems this will be my runaway producer this year with several fruit set on the vines.Looking forward to using these for baked goods. These made great pie last year.Have 11 hills of pumpkin and squash this year and three pumpkins are French Heirlooms.

Kevin

Comments (2)

• emmers_m
    13 years ago

Hi, Kevin,

Any ripe tomatoes yet? I'd be interested in your comparisom of the Vorlons to the other blacks/purples you're growing. I have the Vorlons and I like them, but I've never grown the standards like Black Krim so I'm not sure how they measure up.

From the sounds of your post you should be drowning in produce right now!

Thanks,
    ~emmers

• klorentz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish I was emmers.Truth be told I got a late start this year because I had to hand dig this year. And that was in strips not the traditional way I normally do. It took me over a month to dig it all up cuz I have a heart condition so I had to take breaks often. A lot of stuff did not get out till the first week in June. But I should have tomatoes getting ripe and ready in two weeks. Peppers about the same. I have however gotten some 38 cucumbers so far which turned out good.

My French pumpkins got hit hard by SVB and one of them may be a total loss.But getting back to Vorlon and Black Krim I have some really nice fruit set and Black Krim should be ripe in a couple of weeks and Vorlon by the end of the month. I am really excited about these as they are looking really nice.Heard a lot of good things about them so I hope they will live up to their reputation.

Kevin

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting